Skip to main content

The Dr. Oz two-step

"Are you really going to eat that?" asked my husband.
The "that" he was referring to was a spaghetti squash casserole I made for dinner last night. He watched in horror as I warmed it up for breakfast.
"Of course," I said. "It's absolutely delish."
I worked nights as a reporter for years, so I can eat anything anytime of the day.
My colleagues often congregated at my house for beer, pancakes and Canada AM at the crack o' dawn once a week or so. We scared the neighborhood children.
Sometimes we went to Gord Lovelace's tony house in New Edinburgh and sat on the front porch smoking doobies, drinking beer and watching the public servants shuffling off to work in their Harry Rosen suits. One day, a guy named Louis Bertrand decided to trim Lovelace's lilac bushes with a bullwhip. Where did we get the bullwhip? I cannot recall.
When I'm very, very bad I eat pizza for breakfast, but now that I'm very, very good and eating healthy, I will eat all manner of disgusting things for breakfast. Scott's usually a good sport about the food choices -- even a green meanie juice made of kale, Swiss chard and oranges.
But not today.
Today, he looked at me as if I were eating a pug burrito.
He sat silently scarfing down a peanut butter and banana sandwich while I tucked into this incredible, fantastic, amazing (clearly I am watching too much Gordon Ramsay) spaghetti squash casserole, garnished with an egg and one piece of whole wheat toast, all washed down with chai tea and mineral water.
I felt absolutely virtuous.
Dr. Oz approved!
By the time I got to the gymnasty this morning, I was regretting my food choices.
My stomach felt as if I had thrown a boot into it.
Five minutes on the elliptical, I was sweating like Sumo wrestler.
And then it hit me.
I was not used to eating this much fibre in the morning, particularly since I had the same amount of fibre the night before. It was not a pleasant feeling and required urgent action.
It reminded me of one time at Canada's Wonderland when I had to help all three of my kids salvage their soft ice cream by giving each cone a few good licks.
Did I tell you I am lactose intolerant?
I had to leave my kids, who were all under nine, at the door while I charged the public restroom praying for a stall at the very back. Got there just in time and relief was mine.
Just as I finished the twentieth flush, I heard a little voice echoing through the cavernous washroom.
"Mum? Mum?"
It was Stef.
"Mum, are you in there?"
I was horrified and stayed silent.
Then.
"Rose Simpson? Rose Simpson!!"
Thanks Stef.
Anyway, the good news is my gym has these wonderful private change rooms in the family pool area where no one can hear the fibre working itself out. It's the kind of john that flushes itself several times after the person leaves.
I then walked out of the pool area with no one knowing what I had had for breakfast.
It was an amazing feeling.
Plus, I lost five pounds.
Winning!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...