Skip to main content

Of course, but maybe




I'm staring at it, right now, the brand new GE fridge that replaced The Piece of Shit KitchenAid TM which died on us after only seven years. I'm also thinking that this fridge will never be this empty or this clean again.

Ever.

Time was, a fridge would last thirty years and become one of those antiques they sell on Craigslist. Not anymore. According to everybody, the modern fridge is built to last only ten years. How did I not know this?

If I had known this, I would have bought a cheap fridge like this GE instead of spending $2,200 bucks on The Piece of Shit Kitchenaid TM.

When I bought TPSK, I also bought a warranty -- for five years. They don't sell warranties over five years for the same reason they cancel your life insurance after age 65. They're betting on the untimely demise of the product.

This GE (aka Cable Town) fridge cost us $695.  The warranty was $149. The delivery was $100. So even though we bought the cheapest fridge at Home Depot that had a bottom freezer, we're still out of pocket a solid grand.

Never mind that the bottom freezer has a door instead of a pull out freezer so the Baby Skylar will be able to hide her dollies in it or use it as a fort. It's what we could afford.

So yesterday, the genius delivery guys showed up with our fridge at the end of their shift. They made my husband take the doors off and stood there looking at us while we rearranged the furniture to get the beast into the kitchen. Once they got it in place, they looked at their watches and smiled.

Miller Time!

Off they went without setting up the fridge, which I believed was part of the $100 delivery fee.

No offer to help Scott put the doors back on and they nearly ran over Gordie as they raced out the door.

Gordie reacted by shitting himself, as usual. (He doesn't even stand up to poop anymore.)

Before the movers left, they yelled out a warning: Don't turn on the fridge for two hours.

What? We have been waiting, and our food has been spoiling, for two weeks for this damned fridge and now we have to wait two more hours? What will happen if we just, say, plug it in before the two hours are up? Will it scream and die an agonizing death or will it explode into smithereens?

We don't know because they didn't take the few minutes to set it up and answer our questions.

I hope their livers explode and they bleed out.

Anyway, we plugged it in immediately and it started working. If it quits, well, we did buy that warranty so why should we care? When we moved the last time, our movers plugged in the other fridge immediately -- three years ago -- could that be the reason the compressor died on us after only seven years?

I guess we'll find out in seven years.

In the meantime, it got me thinking about the stupid rules that come with new gadgets. Like your curling iron. Do not submerge in water.

"Be there in a minute honey, I'm just curling my hair in the shower."

Or those dumb tags on stuffed animals and pillows. Please do not remove.

"Jesus, I just ripped the tag off this teddy bear and army ants exited and came and ate my face off."

Warning: Beverage is hot!

"Thanks Starbuckeroo! I should have read the warning but I've already consumed half my latte and shredded my esophagus."

Ridiculous.

These big companies think we're stupid and will follow their rules just because they said so.

I suppose it's for legal reasons. But what would happen if we did the opposite?

 Of course not, of course I won't feed my pets the Tylenol. Of course we won't open the Cuisinart while the blade is still whirring....

But maybe...

Take it, Louis CK!



Comments

  1. I think the delivery guys meant "Don't plug it in until we're backed out of your driveway - then it won't be our problem if it doesn't work."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...