Skip to main content

Mayor Watson: There's poo in our trees





Dear Mayor Watson:

I have a bum knee, otherwise, I'd have tracked you down at one of the shopping malls where you've moved your office. I have a bone to pick, yessiree, Jimbo.

And here it is.

My dog park, located at Conroy Pit, has dog poo in nearly all of the trees these days. Some of it is low hanging, some of it is hidden away in tree crotches and some of it is speared onto branches to resemble piñatas. It's in festive blue and red bags, but most of it has Galen Weston's brand on it.

President's Choice, the King of Poo.

If you look in the bushes, there is poo there, too, on the mossy landscape. It's not laying there like the dogs decided to take a crap and the owners didn't pick it up (although there is some of that, too). Nope, the owners have been vigilant about wrapping their dogs' turds before hanging it up. But sometimes, they forget where they leave it.

I believe this is the fault of your council. Perhaps it is the fault of the National Crapital Commission. If it is, my apologies sir, can you please pass this note along to Russell Mills?

Just after Christmas, we noticed that the second garbage tin was gone, the one which is at the half way mark. That receptacle was very appreciated by the dog owners of Conroy Pit, people such as my husband Scott who gets a sore stomach smelling Finnigan's poo when it is attached to his belt for two kilometres of trail.

As a result, my own husband has gone to the dark side. Yes, he has become a tree hanger, too.

We understand that those of you who rule over us are just trying to save a few bucks. Unfortunately, this new plan is misguided.

And you won't save a penny.

I predict that after much hollering by the citizenry, you will be forced to employ some poor soul to walk all around the park picking up year old balloons of dog feces. The situation is so bad, it may call for serious measures. You may need to employ a typical city crew of three. One to spot the poo. One to pick it up. And one to hold a giant President's Choice bag.

Clearly, one guy in a truck a couple times a week could do the same job in about half an hour.

You may say, well, dog owners who use the park, this is your job.

But it's not our job. We pay for this park with our taxes. And most of us pick up the poo.

If you want me to do it, I will but I won't do it for nothing. I hate the smell of poo, fresh or vintage. I shudder every time I see a Doberman or a Newfoundlander.

As the captain said in Jaws: "We're gonna need a bigger bag!"

And let's face it: nobody feels the same way about the poo from a dog that is not her own.

Please sir, rehire the guy with the truck.

Reinstate the mid-way receptacle.

Elections are coming up and I'm voting for whoever brings back the mid-way receptacle.

Then we can all breathe a little easier.

Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...