Skip to main content

It's time to take back the kitchen



With the KitchenAid fridge gone to the dumpster, we've had to be creative with our food supply. The loaner fridge we have now sucks the big one. The ice box works but the rest of it doesn't even cool food to the temperature of the air conditioning.

We have to wait to get a new one until we get paid for a video job, and that could take two weeks. In the meantime, we've resorted to storing our food in coolers, literally camping out in our kitchen.

This has mixed results.

I'm having to shop differently for example. No more trips to Costco for the great deals on meat. I'm now shopping like the French, marketing I think they call it. Buying food for a day or so and resisting purchasing anything that won't last until the weekend.


The being who is happiest about this situation is Sophie the pug who now has numerous new methods to get onto the stove and the counters. She is a virtual Cirque de Soleil acrobat who is capable of leaping from box to box, then on to the table and then on to the stove.



Sometimes she lands on her head, but she is relentless.

I'm finding pug hair everywhere.

We have to be very careful leaving the house to make sure all chairs, coolers and step stools are moved eight feet away from food surfaces. She can even climb onto the counter by using open drawers.

Finnigan, on the other hand just puts his big stupid head on the counter if he wants a snack.

As a result, he has made me a much better housekeeper.

Can't wait until this nightmare is over.

It's time to take back the kitchen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...