Skip to main content

It's Friday 13th: Shit happens



It's Friday the Thirteenth and I stepped in shit.
In front of the mailman.
I was shooing Finnigan away from Sophie's poo -- which he adores as a little after breakfast snack -- when I stepped in a warm pile he'd recently deposited. I was in sandals.
Sandals.
Warm retriever poop is impossible to get off the bottom of an over-priced Mephisto sandal noted for its traction. Running water doesn't do it. If you try to wipe it off with toilet paper, it lands on your foot. And all the rubbing in the world won't get it off.
It's like the tar the township used to put down on the dirt road when I was a kid.
Even if it looks like it's gone, you still feel it's there teasing you.
God, I almost barfed.
After the cleanup, I sat down to write this and Sophie started playing with something in the corner.
It was a piece of glass.
When I picked it up, I cut myself.
There is blood on the keyboard.
Blood.
Then she decided to sharpen her falanges on my calf.
She thinks she's Freddy Krueger.
Not Edward Scissorhands.
She's too evil to be Edward Scissorhands.
What's next?
I'm just waiting for Gordie, the incontinent pug to poop under my desk chair.
He does this often. Before I know what's happening, I roll over it.
Try getting sticky pug poop off the bottom of an office chair.
The smell lingers forever.
Call me superstitious but I hate Friday the Thirteenth.
Shit happens on Friday the Thirteenth and it's all over me.
That and blood.
Maybe the calendar Gods could take a page from hotels and just skip the Thirteen.
Fast forward to the Fourteen.
Until that happens, I'm going back to bed.
Hopefully, Gordie won't shit on my head.


















 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...