Skip to main content

Frozen milk and melted butter



What a holy mess.

Our beautiful KitchenAid refrigerator blew up on us this weekend. The nice repairman said the compressor was gone and that meant the $2,200 investment I made seven years ago is nothing but a piece of junk.

I wonder how many years seven is in refrigerator years.

It was working fine on Friday. Then everything in the freezer melted.

And that was that.

We had to bring in a last-minute replacement, a second stringer, which looks very much like its on its last season, final play. The replacement doesn't even have a bottom crisper drawer, and it's too small for the space allotted it.

Maybe it's so much worshipping of false idols, but I loved my false idol. It had a bottom drawer for the freezer where I kept all my frozen berries and meat now spoiled on the counters. It was big enough to hold a week's worth of groceries along with all the weird Thai and Chinese condiments that make cooking healthy worthwhile.

It was beautiful on the outside, too, gleaming with brushed steel and faux leather. And it was quiet, only making a cute little noise when you accidentally left the door ajar.

I adored it.

This fridge was more than a place to keep condiments. It was the first thing I bought seven years ago with my hard-fought-for divorce settlement, along with an equally charming stove. Before that, I was using a crappy fridge that froze the milk and melted the butter.

Fifteen years, I lived with substandard appliances and the KitchenAid was my gift to myself for raising three kids alone at the poverty line, then having to take their old man to court to pay for their university while he made and hid millions of dollars.

The talk show host Dini Petty always talked about her version of happiness being a full fridge. That's how I felt. The fuller the better.

Now, I have a future of frozen milk and melted butter again on this roller coaster of unemployment and fear and loss. Yesterday, I sat outside looking at the bundle of steel and faux letter that would meet its final ending on the curb with burnt out barbecues and broken furniture. It still gleamed like a perfect house with nobody home.

I sat down at the table, poured myself a strong one and had a good cry, realizing that there are fewer things we can depend on these days.

Our fridge will join the lawnmower and the vacuum cleaner on the curb of loss and bad endings, all recently departed. For now, we're cutting the grass with the neighbor's push mower and vacuuming the dog hair with our hands.

Shouldn't have to do that at our age.

It's been a hard few years of up and down employment, babies that are not fully paid for, dogs that have reached their expiry date. It just never ends.

Today, we will pick up the pieces, throw out precious groceries that spoiled and try to look on the bright side.

At least we have a fridge. And a roof. And each other.

Forgive me for saying this. The idols may be false but sometimes they're all that we have to hang on to.

Even then, sometimes, it just doesn't seem enough.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...