Skip to main content

Farm dog



Scott and I were shooting a video a couple of years back and we came across this little guy. He was guarding a cow barn that didn't particularly look like it need guarding. It upset me to see a young dog like, attached to a short chain, made to live out his life like that.

He was probably a runner. I get that. We had a dog named Susie, a bouncy little Springer Spaniel who had to be on a chain because, when she got loose, she used to chase the neighbor's chickens. And so she remained chained to a dog house where the flies ate at her ears so badly they were painful and raw. I used to take Vaseline and smooth it over her sores. I would spend hours sitting with Susie so she wasn't so lonesome. One night I spent the night with her after my brother kicked me out of the house for wanting to watch television.

Brothers can be such assholes.

Susie was never let in the house, never allowed to run free on our large property. Mom wouldn't let her curl up on my bed.

"She's not that kind of dog," she would say.

Susie was never allowed to get the love she deserved. That's the way I saw it.

One day, I woke up and Susie was gone and the dog house was empty.

I was mad at my mom for a long time about what happened to Susie.

I told mom I never wanted another dog, and I didn't get another one until I was 30.

What kind of thing is that to do to a dog, or a kid?

Comments

  1. When I was about 8, my parents gave me a puppy. It was a black lab and I named her Daphne. She was relegated to the basement of our 3 bedroom, 1 bath house in suburban Kansas City, Missouri. She grew fast. Dad was raised in a Brooklyn tenement. So, puppy got very little useful information about what to do and got booted out the back door frequently. Dad built her a house with siding that matched our house and installed a chain, as there was no fence. The house was at the far corner and winter was coming. Mom bought a dog food that you add hot water to and it was supposed to make it delicious. I trekked out to her little house and sat in her house while she ate in the mornings before I went to school. One day, she got loose and ran for hours. I chased her for hours. Sore, frozen and exhausted from crying, I went home and she was there, by her little house. When I went to school on Monday, I came home and she was gone. Dad told me he took her to 'live on a friend's farm in the country'. I'm almost 50 and I still think about that dog. And my dad still has not developed the character to tell me the truth.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...