Skip to main content

The Taliban Don't Like My Knickers

 
 
Hey Torontonians! Lend me your ears!
My friend Tom Berend wants to tell you about his new play called "The Taliban Don't Like My Knickers" which is part of the Toronto Fringe Festival. Here's the backstory in Tom's own words.


I volunteer teaching older children with severe reading disabilities, and I was posting questions to an on-line dyslexia discussion forum in the UK. Somehow, a dyslexic theater group picked up my name not realizing that I was in Canada, and Lennie, the producer sent me an invitation to a theater performance they were producing that weekend; a shoestring affair for dyslexic actors and writers in the backroom of a pub.

Now, I had never heard of dyslexic theater, and I'm betting you haven't either. I was intrigued. The play they were marketing was about as small-scale as you can imagine. And yet here they were, these dyslexic young people embracing literacy and storytelling, proudly and confidently telling their own stories in their own voices.

I thought that was the most amazing thing. Everything I had learned about dyslexia until then involved lowered expectations, extra assistance, accommodation, curriculum modification, etc; How wonderful and inspiring, these guys were doing theater because they loved the theater. I wrote back that I couldn't get there in time, but perhaps we could pass a hat to sponsor her company to present in Toronto. We kept in touch, and now they are bringing a new play to the Toronto Fringe Festival, "The Taliban Don't Like my Knickers", with seven performances scheduled at the Tarragon Theater.

The Fringe is a crazy celebration of small and emerging theater, it's the best entertainment value in town. I hope you come out for a lot of the plays, and bring all your friends too.

But in particular I'm hoping you come out to see our dyslexic London friends, and their new play. "The Taliban Don't Like My Knickers", has nothing to do with dyslexia, it's just great storytelling.

It is a stylized two-hander, loosely based on the story of Yvonne Ridley, a journalist who was captured by the Taliban. But it is really about freedom and sacrifice, the pursuit of truth, the cost of holding to our convictions, and what it is that gives people strength.

What I find most unique and different is the dyslexic imagination that drives the show. It is very visual, very stylized, very graphic. Images are as important as words, there are two projectors running and an audio soundscape playing to support the spoken narrative. There is a written script, I've seen it, but it seems to have evolved as an afterthought. It is wonderful theater, and very, very different, you simply have to experience it. "The Taliban Don't Like My Knickers". Come and see it at the Tarragon.

We're having a talk-back... In partnership with the Ontario Branch of the International Dyslexia Association, we will be setting up a talk-back at the end of the July 11 performance. a chance meet the writers, producers, and actors, and ask them questions. Again, July 11 only. It is intended for dyslexic students with an interest in theater or film-making, but of course everyone is welcome. The team in London has been working on a short documentary, a work-in-progress that I'm hoping we will screen then. Space is limited however, we have to move to the Taragon's Solo performance space upstairs to give the next Fringe production a chance to set up, and we can only seat about 60 people up there. That's the July 11 performance.

I should mention that the play is a tiny bit edgy, not really suitable for under-12. "The Taliban Don't Like My Knickers". If you google 'Taliban' and 'Knickers', you will quickly find links to this production. I hope to see you there. Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...