Skip to main content

Rites of passage




Photo by Beth Grant, Creative Commons
 

Over the years, I was subjected to some pretty inappropriate attempts at child-rearing. It was all part of that misguided notion among parents in the 1960s that kids should be taught to do adult things while they still lived at home. Like drinking, smoking, gambling -- those sorts of things.

For example, I started drinking coffee at the age of five. By the time I got to public school, I had developed a three cup a day Instant coffee habit. I always tried to fill the coffee cup over the brim like the Maxwell House coffee commercial. It would never work, of course, because the people who make those commercials lie. Coffee spills into the saucer instead not matter how often you try this particular experiment. Didn't matter to me. I preferred to slurp my coffee from the saucer anyway.

Hey, I was a kid.

As on most farms, coffee was served at all hours and I drank my last cup before I went to bed which was anytime I wanted to go. Bedtime wasn't enforced in our house. You just dragged yourself to bed when you felt like it. 

The late night coffee drinking accounted for my insomnia. Rarely was I able to fall asleep until about three, so that led, in the summers at least, to my ritual of staying up watching old horror movies and talk shows. Which resulted in my obsession with Dick Cavett at a young age. (Dick, honey, get me out of here!) Not to mention my irrational fear of werewolves.

Another thing relatives liked to teach kids was how to hold their liquor. Even at the tender age of six, I was allowed to have a little belt of Gramps' rye and coke, which I absolutely adored.

The first time I got drunk was at Christmas when Gramps allowed that six was old enough to serve alcohol  to company. Everybody thought it was cute. It didn't take long before I was able to expertly mix drinks. One for an adult, a shot for myself. I must have had six shots of straight whiskey that first night and nobody noticed. And so began my journey into Robert Downey Jr. land.

Every Friday, we went to my aunt's place, the unofficial speakeasy down the road. My Auntie was famous for her Hillbilly buffet:  salami, summer sausage, tube cheese and crackers all washed down with cases of Labatt 50. The adults didn't leave me out. Even at age eight or nine, I was allowed a couple of belts of rye. It was at my Aunt's place that I first learned about the "teach a kid to drink at home and he won't have problems later" mythology.

At age 12 -- I will never forget this -- I suggested to the rents that I might like a beer. They all laughed uproariously and snapped a cap for me.  I was instructed to drink the whole thing. I didn't like the taste of beer at all, but I would be damned if I would be laughed at. So down it went. Over the years, I got to like beer a lot. I credit my hillbilly relatives for this.

Substance abuse was taught at home like it was some kind of right of passage.

You want to smoke? Okay, here's a cigarette. But, you have to smoke the whole thing. No wonder so many kids started smoking. Parents were like crack dealers back then. They got you at first drag.

Fortunately, smoking was never something I could get my head around. Like eating head cheese. But man, my relatives loved their roll-your-owns. With six adults in the house, all of whom were smokers, the place smelled like the saloon on Gunsmoke.

I was never taught any useful habits like studying or food prep. Nobody cared if I got good grades or not. Maybe it's because they didn't know better. I think it's because they didn't care. I wasn't going to amount to anything anyway.

My mom scoffed at book learning. She was proud of the fact she dropped out of school in grade nine and suggested that I get a job working as a bank teller. Now that would be a career.

Fortunately, Gramps handed me an old Underwood typewriter that he'd been given by somebody whose car he fixed. That's when I began to write.

Bet none of them would have figured I'd be using the typing skill I learned on that Underwood to tell you these stories today. They probably figured I'd be dead from second hand smoke.






 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...