Skip to main content

Pick your own out of somebody's backyard and not get arrested for it



Do love fresh picked fruit?
How about getting to pick some for yourself -- for free -- and donate the rest so that other Ottawa families can share in the wealth?
Well have I got a deal for you.
If you're willing to do a little gardening and picking in exchange, you can sample all the luscious fruit and nuts that are available on tree growing around Ottawa, trees that aren't spoken for! The group is called Ottawa Hidden Harvest and it is dedicated to renewing the environment and making sure that precious fruit and nuts don't go to waste. What's more, you'll learn all kinds of cool stuff about tree planting.

I'll let them speak for themselves. You have to sign up so hurry!

More than 70 trees and shrubs of 30 different species were planted two years ago in a permaculture yard near Pleasant Park and Alta Vista to contribute to the landscape through edible crops, shade, and nutrients.
Join us as we talk with Sean Butler, yard designer, for a discussion on the planning stages, then take a tour of this not-so-average backyard to check on the trees progress!
We'll follow the tour by all rolling up our sleeves to tame a few undesirable plants (virginia creeper, goutweed, and more)
  • What food trees and shrubs are doing well? What isn't doing as well as hoped?
  • Theory vs reality of creating a food forest, discussions with two permaculturists with plenty of hands-on experience
  • How to turn the "problem" of rapidly spreading wild plants ("weeds" or "invasives") into the solution - free mulch and biomass to build your soil!
You will have the opportunity to chat with other tree-enthusiasts and ask any tree questions you might have, and take away learnings that may inform tree planting choices in your yard, or around the city.
 
Note: spots are limited, sign up soon. More info @
ottawa.hiddenharvest.ca
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...