Skip to main content

Is Dr. Phil the voice of God?




When I was a little kid, my mom used to drive me to church and drop me off.
Really, I just wanted to go to Sunday School, but part of me hoped that a wee bit of God would rub off on me while I was sitting on that hard and slippery pew.
I've always wanted to believe in God. Always, always, always.
There are days I do.
Like when I see a newborn open its eyes for the first time. Or when I witness a beautiful sunrise.
Or when somebody finally beats the Williams sisters at Wimbledon. Yes!
But the older I get, the harder it is for me to bat down my gut which is not jiggy with the spiritual world at all.
Take yesterday.
Yesterday, an unmanned train destroyed a Quebec town. Egyptians had their heads blown off.
A plane came down in San Francisco killing a couple of people -- luckily not Sheryl Sandberg who took another flight with her points, as she tweeted breathlessly yesterday.
I'm okay! Thanks Mark Zuckerberg!

Where was God when all this was happening? Was God at the helm of that runaway train? Did God start to cry at a good movie and flood out the people of Calgary and Coney Island? Was God workin' it on Wii Fit and accidentally whipped up the wind and killed all those people in Oklahoma?
God needs to have his toys taken away if you ask me.

I've always wanted God to be more like Johnny Cash.
Unfortunately, I'm beginning to believe God is a lot like Stephen King.
.
I just don't get it. That's why AA doesn't work for people like me.
"Alcohol ruined my life, so I'll replace it with God and everything will be okay. Work the steps."
Have you ever tried it?
You quickly learn that it wasn't the booze at all. It was you, fine person, who took a crap on your own life. Without alcohol, you are still one fucked up human being. You're just less interesting.

I've asked some God people about all of this.
Reverend Nancy, the chaplain of the Press Club bar, once gave me this explanation.
"Well, Rosie, there is God stuff and there is guy stuff."
Which means God sets up the scenario and guys fuck everything up.
God gives us a beautiful world and we learn to make bombs to blow ourselves up.
God gives us a brood of children who turn themselves into the Sons of Anarchy.
God gives us a pressure cooker to make a pot roast and we put rusty nails in it.

It's what is meant by free will.

God gave us a road map -- the Bible, in the case of Christians -- to show us the way.
He got a bunch of mortal speechwriters together -- Moses, Noah, John the Baptist -- who wrote down a bunch of lessons to show us what will happen if we do the right thing or if we fuck everything up.
The good guys will do the right thing. They will go to Calgary with buckets and drywall and try to make things right. The bad guys will loot.
We're told God loves everybody but the looters will go to hell which is a pretty awful place.
In the secular world, it is referred to as jail.

I've often wondered how a person knows how to do the right thing.
What if you had bad parents or teachers?
Would you still know what to do?
Another clergy person told me that if you pray or meditate on a problem, the answer will come.
Like the final Jeopardy answer, I guess.
This actually has worked for me in the past. Whenever I'm in a spot, I go quiet for a time and often the answer comes, not like Oprah's stupid "ah ha" moment but more like a slap on the head. Then I say to myself "why didn't I think of that before?"
God has come to me this way at various times in my life.
Of course it might just be that it's my mother's voice, or 57 years of experience and not God at all.
Perhaps it's something I've read. Or something my grandma said. Or maybe something I learned on Dr. Phil.
In fact, Dr. Phil has come to me at various times and solved problems for me.
Like when he says "How's that working for ya?" or "If you want to beat an addiction (booze, food, sex), you have to replace it with another one (golf, blogging, juicing).
So is it possible that Dr. Phil is the voice of God?

These are the questions that keep me up at night.

I'm not going to stop believing in God, just in case. But I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket either. If there is no God, if this is just a rumor started by TMZ, then we all should be prepared.

And following sayings is just as good as following the voice of God.

It takes a village.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Shit happens.

Yeah, I like that last one.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...