Skip to main content

Inconsolable





When asked how she was doing after her husband died, a friend said she was "inconsolable".
Inconsolable.
It's a good word.
I know the feeling.
It's the feeling you get when you lose your child to drugs, to the street, to suicide.
Sort of the same feeling in your stomach when you get into an elevator and it drops unexpectedly. Your stomach feels like you're chewing on it. Swishing it around your mouth. Then ripping it into smithereens because it hurts so bad.
I lost my son Nicholas a few times. When he decided he'd rather live with his dad, "get to know him" and his stepmother. That time I lost him for five years.
I got him back when his dad didn't want him anymore. Literally didn't want him. Dad shipped him off to a boarding school with a set of cheap sheets and expensive skates. Shipped him like a Fed Ex package. No return address.
I lost him another time, after he'd returned to live with me at age 15. Instead of bunking with his brother, he chose to live in the crawlspace in the basement. He said he liked small spaces. This was were he smoked weed and took Ecstasy. Before he nearly went to jail. The crawl space was what he left when he set out on the street.
Whenever Nick became depressed, he physically got small. I could only see his nose inside the oversized hoodie he called home. He smoked, he drank, he drugged, he fucked skanky girls, he slept in parking garages before he was saved by Jacques, a saint of a man who worked for the Youth Services Bureau.
He came home. Yes he did.
As a ghost. It felt like he was haunting me. Burning eyes, sunken cheeks, teeth yellowed by tobacco.
Stef said Nick was a kid with an old man's face.
Living at the Mission will do that to a kid.
Makes him old. Drags his soul out and replaces it with blackness.
He never stopped taking drugs.
He just stopped taking them recreationally.
Moved to Barrie to refine his misery and become a pro.
By the time he came home this last time, he was a skeleton, a junkie, all pierced and tattooed.
Wizened, even.
But I kept taking him back. Of course I did. It's what you do if you give somebody life, isn't it?
Well, it's what some people do. Others give up on them, set them adrift.
Because their kids don't match the furniture anymore.
Sometimes the kid doesn't make it home, like Nick's friend Michelle from high school.
Michelle was one of our kids.
She found our place safe. I think she could see the love but couldn't quite touch it.
She tried; it was just at her fingertips, but then poof! It was gone.
Scott drove Michelle home in tears numerous times. He carried her out to the car, blasted out of her mind. I recognized the face. It was small, a little pink face under a head of cotton hair.
Nick and the kids tried to help.
But Michelle was inconsolable. I recognized myself in her face.
Eventually, she hung herself.
Nick took it hard. Carved her name on his arm with ink.
Then he disappeared again.
But this time, he found a safe place to take his darkness.
He started writing poetry.
We never lost him again.
I just got a copy of his book of poetry, Ground Zero, which lays out the pain and anger he has felt over the years. He rails against his father, a little at me, too. It's hard to read.
Especially because Ground Zero has a poem written by the Inconsolable Michelle.

leave your eyes open
If I were a doll I would stare straight ahead - glazed
my bones are waiting to be white and smooth
my eye lids are jerkily shut as I am lain down
no longer rolling in the back of ochre skulls

Michelle had no dreams left when she exited this world.
I wish we could have given her some.

You can buy this book on Amazon.com.
Ground Zero by Nicholas Gagnier.
Some of the proceeds will go to the Youth Services Bureau, the place that saved Nick's life that one time.

Maybe you have a child who could read it.
There is hope in them there pages.
If you're a parent, maybe you should read it, too.
Inconsolable.
It's a feeling that stays with you but it doesn't have to.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...