Skip to main content

I'm not fat. I have a disease


The trouble with getting free stuff on your birthday is that you have to think ahead.
I went to Starbucks this morning after my workout and fully expected to get a free non-fat dry capp only to be told I should have bought myself a gift card last week. I knew that, because I've been trolling the Internet looking for all the free stuff I could get on my birthday and the Starbucks website told me that very thing. I just thought it would have been nice for all the staff to get together to buy me one, given that I am such a good customer.
They did smile and give me a survey. If I fill it out, I'll get a free drink.
Better than nothing I guess.
And I can get my freebies elsewhere.
I'm going to Red Lobster for lunch with number two son today and you get a free dessert at Red Lobster. You should, given how damned expensive that place is. It will be Red Lobster and a movie this afternoon. I decided that I would treat myself to the cinema for the first time since my first date with Scott ten years ago when we went to The Hours and I fell asleep.
A few years ago I developed panic disorder in the midst of perimenopause and I've avoided enclosures especially the ones with loads of people jawing popcorn and slurping Diet Coke.
I can't eat the food at the movie theatre, either. That cheese they put on the Nachos gives me the runs -- not something that adds ambience to film watching.
But I'm going to give the theatre another go.
It's my 57th birthday and I've decided to change my stars.
I say that every year and nothing seems to change very much.
Three years ago, I started working out and while I have lost four inches around the band, my boobs are still a whopping G cup. Fuck me. And for some Goddamned reason I've gained back the ten pounds I lost.
What the hell?
My BMI is registering morbidly obese.
Thankfully, the American Medical Association has now determined that obesity is a disease.
That takes a load off.
It means it's not my fault that I'm 220 pounds.
The potatoes and ice cream? The red wine and tequila?
Nope, not their fault.
I'm just a walking, talking petrie dish full of disease which can be fixed apparently now by Big Pharma and it's covered. Ditto for all those visits to the bariatic doctors.
Good thing Scott's benefits just kicked in.
I can't wait to discover what marvels the medical community have in store for me.
I'm sure my treatment will involve pills and potions instead of a strict diet.
No more DASH. Better living through pharmaceuticals.
That's the ticket.
Seriously, I believe the weight is my problem. I gave up on myself last winter when Scott became unemployed and I was let go from my job as a magazine editor. I just sat in this window watching the snow fly, and allowed the fat cells to expand at will. So now it's payback.
You might say that a visit to Red Lobster isn't exactly the right move, and that all those calories including the whipped cream I will be consuming on the free dessert will go right to my hips.
Ah, yes.
But I'm walking to Red Lobster.
And walking back.
I'll teach my disease a thing or two in the coming year.
Obesity will not define me.
So I'm fat.
So what?
I'll just buy myself a bigger pair of jeans.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...