Skip to main content

I Volunteer...for Bluesfest!




Like most communities, Ottawa has a legion of people who volunteer their time to raise money and to give a helping hand. Some of these people are near saints with their tireless devotion to the greater good.

Others are Bluesfest volunteers.

You do not become a Bluesfest volunteer because you want to make a difference in the lives of people. You become a Bluesfest volunteer to get free entrance to the festival and maybe get up close and personal with Jim Cuddy or Elvis Costello. To get an autograph. To get a bird's eye view of the stage.

It isn't one of those great volunteer gigs for Ontario students who have to get their volunteer papers signed to graduate high school. The Bluesfest volunteer brigade is comprised of a lot of people who don't want to pay for the privilege of seeing bands.

A lot of public servants take weeks off every year to carry garbage, pour beer or guard the gates from interlopers. The Bluesfest volunteer system is a lot like a pyramid scheme. It takes years to get a decent volunteer gig and those at the top are entitled and smug.

The rest of the volunteers can only be described as a little rough around the edges, oversized women in tube tops, middle aged men in wife beaters and bandanas. The more cultured volunteers take tickets; the more base volunteers strong arm drunks off the stage and on to the street.

That's why the volunteer brigade is run like an army.

It's a marvel to watch.

I'm not much of a volunteer myself because I don't like doing manual labor for dubious rewards. If I want to see Jim Cuddy, I'll buy a ticket. But if you are looking for the best volunteer gig at Bluesfest, here's my suggestion. Volunteer for the Ottawa Blues Society. This work involves standing in front of a tent for four hours and selling t shirts.

We did it one year and it was awesome.

And we didn't need to feel like we needed a shower afterwards.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...