Skip to main content

Hurricane Sophie



I've often wondered how people with dogs keep their homes so neat and tidy.
You know the people. They have two English sheepdogs and three cats, pristine terra cotta pile carpets, microfiber sofas and gleaming floors. There are no shit stains on the microfiber where the dogs have scooted themselves, no puke marks from the time the dogs ate the ham they retrieved from the ice box, no half chewed spindles on their chairs.
These are the people who happily act as valets for their dogs instead of writing blogs complaining about them while the dogs chew their prized runners in the background.
My friend Suzanne is a master dog manager.
She has an incontinent, blind, 16-year-old dog named Buddy who keeps falling in the swimming pool. When Buddy poops himself, she and her husband have to spend an hour cleaning his gnarly fur in the laundry room. He often pees where he stands.
And yet, her house is always pristine.
I could have -- and perhaps did at one of her splendid parties -- eaten off the floor.
I'm amazed.
Now she does have help. A cleaning lady. Dog walkers when she and Norman are on one of their fantastic adventures. A massage therapist who comes three times a week to help Buddy limber up. A yoga instructor who has him doing the downward dog.

I have help, too, in the form of Nick in the basement who is no help at all.
His idea of canine relations is to tell Finnigan to "shut the fuck up" or "I hate you" when he's anywhere around him.
Other than that, I'm on my own.
When Scott comes home from work, he has no idea what mayhem will have ensued while he was off selling cars to rich people.

The perpetrators


There will be paper. That's for sure. His bank statement will have been shredded or the new Vanity Fair will be missing The Brad Pitt page.
And there will be fur everywhere, regardless of whether I've cleaned or not.
Finnigan and Sophie are constantly wrestling, with Sophie riding his back like she's vying for the Triple Crown.  As a result the carpet is so black I've taken to vacuuming it with my hands. We have, in fact, contributed to the retirement fund of the local Chinese vacuum repair guy whose eyes light up when we bring in the latest carpet cleaner still smoldering from a valiant effort at picking up Finnigan's black bastard fur.
Our furniture is also in shambles.
My dining room chairs look like they've been eaten the Olympic termite team instead of by an innocent looking little vixen named Sophie.
I've tried everything. Scolding. Pleading.
A stock offer.
Nothing seems to deter her.
I've even tried hot sauce on the spindles.
Guess what?
She likes it.
Perhaps she's a Mexican variety pug.
"Me gusta mis sillas con salsa picante," she says to me with those bug eyes. "I like my chairs with a little hot sauce."

What?


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...