Skip to main content

Geezerdom: Kill me now



It's hard at my advancing age to resist nostalgia for the good old days.
Especially when you're on Facebook with your former high school and university classmates, coworkers from dead newspapers and old drinking buddies from the press club.
I used to laugh at oldsters who put up plaques with old sayings all over their cottages and trailers along with little "kits" like the one with this label: Open in Case of Emergency.
Inside was a candle with the instructions to light when someone farts. On the candle was another wrap around slogan: Silent but deadly.
Lately, I have been bombarded with Facebook messages and posters that read "remember when?" that are pictures of old toasters, eight tracks, washing machines with rollers and other crappy gizmos invented long ago by snake oil salesmen.
None of those devices were good. The toaster burned your fingers -- and the toast -- and the roller-style washing machines caused multiple amputations in weary housewives who weren't paying attention. And don't get me started on Eight Tracks. I bought one of the damn things and they immediately became obsolete, leaving me stuck with a whole collection of 50s music that is in a landfill now, somewhere, on the Niagara Escarpment.
I consider myself a person who looks forward, not back because many of my memories are unpleasant. I don't remember the milk truck cheerfully rattling down the road; I do remember it arriving with diarrhea-inducing bottles of milk with phlegmatic cream on top and weird edible oil product that passed for margarine, the kind that Granny Crown let me squeeze until it became golden.
I also  remember a bucolic life on the farm, but my memory has me getting stung every summer at least twice by honeybees being raised by my hobby farmist beekeeper Grandad, who thought it was funny watch.
Maybe it's because I'm a glass half empty gal, but the bad memories often overtake the good ones.
For example, in a moment of weakness, I joined a Remember When? group from my home town on Facebook, one of those everybody wants to post on, which means that my Smartphone is constantly dinging about this hotel or that, this building or that building. Yesterday, the group asked if we remembered who the doctor was who delivered us.
The first name that came up was my own doctor whom everybody gushed over.
This is what I posted.
I remember Dr. Hunt.
He committed my mother to a psychiatric facility and gave me valium for my skin condition.
I see nostalgia as nothing more than giving up on the future.
Old people believe that the future cannot possibly be better than the past.
In my view, if my crappy past was better than the future, you might as well kill me now.
Nostalgia has done nothing for our society.
It has given us Golden Oldies radio.
Concert tours by one hit wonders.
Events requiring dressing in poodle skirts.
High school reunions.
I prefer to listen to the newest stations on the radio rather than hearing a constant drone of fucking Mungo Jerry and remastered editions of American Woman.
I'm a Live 8.8 kinda gal, not a classic rock crone.
Needless to say, I've unjoined the Remember When? group.
I didn't go to my high school reunion.
And you will never, ever see me in a skirt made out of a poodle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...