Skip to main content

Ottawa Farmers' Market opens Sunday!



Everybody was griping about the weather this winter, but as a farmer's daughter, I thought, good.
I say good because the terrific snow coverage is going to mean a banner year for the farmers. And it's about time they got some good luck.
(Sorry, Saskatchewan, cheers.)
Last year was pitiful and challenging.
This year is going to be sweet.
I was thinking about this very thing this morning over my morning coffee. I read in the Ottawa Citizen that the Ottawa Farmers' Market will reopen at Brewer Park across from Carleton University this Sunday.
Going to the market every week has been a little treat for us, and Finnigan, who grew up before the eyes of the vendors last year. I'm sure they will be amazed that the little puppy who was often caught pinching the odd vegetable has grown into a full-fledged horse.
The jury is still out as to whether we bring little Sophie the pug, but I'm thinking, why not? She is sure to delight the shoppers, though I will have to keep her close lest she scratch or knock down the wee ones. She's beautiful but she is a hazard to toddlers.
Even on the Sundays when we were broke -- which was pretty often last year -- Scott and I managed to find some little gem at the market.
Even on a budget, we feasted on elk sausages, farm fresh eggs, designer mustards and weird ice cream. I learned to eat garlic scape!
Our favorite vendor was the cheese lady who fashioned the most miraculous goudas, blues and other sharp cheeses, ones that were so flavorful, only a smidge was needed to turn a lame piece of toast into a fire cracker.
Mostly the market brought back fond memories of my student days working as a fruit inspector (yes, I said it) at Aylmer-Delmonte in St. Catharines where I would sometimes send farmers home with trucks full of cherries should I spy even one worm. I can assure you that the cherries at the market are worm-free and the juicy Red Haven peaches are pristine.
Finnigan's favorite stall was occupied by Sean Simpson (no relation) and his wonderdog Mollie. The pair were recently featured on Dragon's Den and received backing from one of the dragons to expand their line of delicious organic dog biscuits.
It is true that the food costs more at the Farmers' Market.
Which might be a good thing for dieters who are supposed to eat better, but eat less.
I find it passing strange that in this land of plenty, we have to pay more not to eat pesticides and irradiated potatoes. It's the price we pay to not get cancer.
Anyways, maybe I'll see you there!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...