Skip to main content

Happy Mother's Day, Nick



A few days ago, the baby Skylar was flushed and pooping, so Nick came up for a consult.
I told him that it was probably nothing, just a reaction to the heat wave.
He wasn't sure, so he took her to the doctor.
Sure enough, she had an ear infection. The bill came to $60 (what!) and so Nick sullenly returned, cap in hand, to see if I could help out til next week when Shyla gets paid. Scott and I are tapped out, thanks to both of us being unemployed for four months, but I agreed to lend him the money for the afternoon, while Shyla went to her mom to shake her down.
A financial plan was arranged, baby was medicated, and all was right with the world once again.
A few hours later, I went down to their apartment to check on them and discovered that Skylar was back to her bouncy self.
Nick, on the other hand, looked very much like Jack Nicholson in The Shining: hair all akimbo, long scraggily sideburns, black under the eyes.
I remember that look.
All he was missing was the sweatpants.
While often wonderful, mothering a toddler all day long, all night long, all by yourself, can be a bitch.
There simply isn't enough to keep a 15-month-old occupied all day. As Nick has learned, no amount of Caillou or Gagnam Style will keep her enthralled twenty-four-seven, not even background dustups with Finnigan and Sophie.
Not even a visit or two during the day with Grandma upstairs.
Motherhood often resembles the final stage of dying.
No matter how many people are around you, you will always feel alone.
Usually, Nick goes about his mommy duties cheerfully, feeding, entertaining, changing diapers and so on, but he does so as one would expect a 27-year-old male who's addicted to World of Warcraft to do it. The child is maintained in a healthy manner, but all around her is chaos.
There are more Cheerios on the floor than on her tray. Diapers are flung about like the lingerie that got him in this mess in the first place. Baby is dressed in curious costumes with unmatched items, the bottom a bit too large, the top a bit too big. And it doesn't take a CSI to figure out what the girl had for breakfast. Just take a sample from her hair.
Still, I give Nick kudos.
It's not every guy will agree to the mommy track while Mommy's off earning the bread.
I'm sure he'd rather be working, but he can't find a job, and Shyla has boobs.
That's how Nick explains why she's working and he isn't.
Nick adores the baby, it's clear. He dotes on her like she's some kind of personal science project.
A kid can't ask for a better parent, whatever gender.
As in all things Nick, he just goes along to his own drum.
So Happy Mother's Day, Nick.
Hope the girlfriend brings you flowers and chocolates.
Or at least a can of Red Bull.
I'm proud of you, son.

And for all the female moms, here is a little musical interlude.
Hope you enjoy it. Keep a tissue handy; it's very sentimental.
Have a beautiful, child-centred weekend!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...