Skip to main content

Canada, according to Anthony Bourdain


Chef and bon vivant Anthony Bourdain admits he's a French Canadian sympathizer.
He does have a French name after all.
But his recent piece on CNN about "Canada" was a little over the top even for him.
First, he chose to present to the CNN audience a picture of Canada that had nothing to do with our home and native land. Instead, it focused solely on the Quebec culture -- which would have been alright if it had been called Parts Unknown: Quebec.
The piece was entertaining fodder, following a group of Quebecois gourmands as they chowed their way through a series of artery clogging, heart stopping meals while lubricating themselves with expensive wines.
These blobs could give Epic mealtime a run for its money.
They frolicked through the countryside eating beaver stewing in its own plasma sauce. Then it was off to a hipster place to savor more organ meat, to a fishing hut and onto a Via Rail One club car.
Bordain included every cliche in the book. The foodies featured were hockey playing/watching, maple syrup clugging rubes dressed in comfy checkered shirts and sporting the French Canadian Medusa-inspired bedhead that the men are famous for.
It was Quebec culture at its worst.
All I can say is I'd hate to be the doctor who does their colonoscopies.
I didn't mind so much that Bourdain chose to feature this corner of Canada.
What I did mind was his history lesson in which he described the Quebecois as an oppressed nation, held under the thumb of the heartless English since Wolfe met Montcalm.
The Quebecois, Bourdain stated in whispered tones, were just waiting for their time to separate.
Those in Canada who think separatism is so yesterday are fools, he is told by a, ahem, separatist.
Jeez, Louis, I thought I was watching a John LeCarre thriller.
Really?
If the only militants Quebec can find to rise up against Canada to gain its rightful independence are these hooch swilling organ grinders, the nation is in serious trouble.
Seriously, dude, you need a fact checker.
If you haven't seen it, I present to you Canada, according to Anthony Bourdain.
Watch at your own risk.

 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...