Skip to main content

Toronto Sun endorses Justin Trudeau: Pass the tequila, Sheila!

Well, here is something you don't see every day.
The Toronto Sun has officially endorsed Justin Trudeau for.....prime minister!
Shut my mouse.
Sounds like a Bowie song. (Musical interlude to follow).

After a long and raucous editorial board meeting, one that led to the unprecedented dismissal of several senior editors, Sun Media has decided to endorse Justin Trudeau as the next prime minister of Canada.

Put aside everything we have said before.

Reality speaks volumes, and Sun Media, more than any other news organization in this great country, is not afraid to face reality when it starts to stare us down.

In reviewing Justin Trudeau's run for the Liberal leadership, we have come to realize that he cannot be simply dismissed as a Shiny Pony and, although somewhat vacuous in both policy and substance, scientists tell us that all a vacuum needs to break out of its nothingness is a bit of air.

Let's give Trudeau that air, for the time has come to forgive the sins of the infamous father, Pierre Elliott Trudeau, and realize that some genetic apples do fall far enough away from the tree to not be equally rotten.

For too long now, Sun Media has fought tooth-and-nail for the kind of fiscal conservatism that Prime Minister Stephen Harper first embraced when he had a minority government but has set sadly aside now that he has his long-sought majority in the House of Commons.

Or, to put it more succinctly, the taxpayers' money his finance minister, Jim Flaherty, has spent in building up both the debt and deficit, even though there is a promise of balancing the budget by 2015, finally had us searching for someone with more imagination and a less targeted focus.

Only Justin Trudeau fills that bill.

Look around. If we wanted to replace Stephen Harper today, would any right-thinking person look to NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair to step into the breach with fanciful visions of what Canada could be, if only faux conservatism were cast into the wind?

Stardust is the elixir this country needs, and only Justin Trudeau has such wizard-like magic in his wand.

Don't cut him short like we at Sun Media initially did before we gave our collective heads a shake.

A big no, therefore, to Stephen Harper.

Yes, however, to the great and powerful Oz, er . . . Justin Trudeau.


April Fool's!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...