Skip to main content

The Quintessential Canadian Loser




There's an hilarious story in the Globe and Mail, the paper that fun usually forgets, about the Harper government's obsession with spending your tax dollars to bring the War of 1812 to homes across this great land in the form of Hollywood style commercials.

The story reveals that little Harpos at the "Centre" became obsessed with continuity and rung their hands raw over the smallest details of the battle including the color and texture of Laura Secord's cape. (I would have colored it chocolate!)

Anyways, the story brought back memories of Grade school field trips from my beloved St. Catharines home to Niagara-on-the-Lake where we got eat a bagged lunch and ogle the Brock monument. As kids, we put up with this nonsense because our real reward was to continue on to Niagara Falls where the real fun was at Madame Tussaud's and Ripley's Believe it or Not!

I do not recollect much about the War of 1812, but I cannot forget seeing my first shrunken head at Ripley's. It was awesome.

So much for Canadian history.

Growing up on the border, I always wished that we had lost that war because I always, always, always wanted to be an American. Everything about America was cool -- JFK, iHop and cool game shows. We had Diefenbaker, Tim Horton's and the Friendly Giant.

I had border envy. Pure and simple.

I always admired the Americans for doing everything big. They were big time patriotic with their Fourth of July celebrations while we burned down a school house in the back yard on Canada Day. They pledged allegiance to the flag while we stood to attention for some distant, foreign queen.

They had Disneyland. We had the CNE.

They had the Smothers Brothers. We had Wayne and Shuster.

To this day, I want to be an American. If I had had the guts to move to the U.S. when I was out of school, I am convinced I would have found the American dream. Instead, I stayed here and failed French and thus became what I like to call The Quintessential Canadian Loser.

I have never gotten past my dream of America.

I still suffer from border envy.

They have Ryan Seacrest. We have Ben Mulroney.

They have the Super Bowl. We have the Grey Cup (see even our sports are grey!)

They have Barack Obama, and we have Stephen Harper who can take and shove his War of 1812 commercials. One day, I hope someone shrinks his head.

In the meantime, enjoy a much better video about that damned war.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...