Skip to main content

Rita MacNeil and the CBC

Only in Canada could Rita MacNeil have become a big star.
If she'd been in the U.S., she might have gotten a shot on PBS, but mostly only people in her own region would have known her.
But here, we treated Rita -- who died today -- as a national treasure.
Her Christmas specials were made years ago, but they are replayed every year. Apparently, they still get big numbers.
Rita MacNeil became a star -- and stayed a star -- in Canada because we're a bit old fashioned. We look beyond what's on the surface and see the radiance below.
And we also have a national broadcaster that reflects our Canadian values.
I haven't watched the CBC for many years -- it hasn't been on my radar, what with 57 other channels of nothingness to enjoy -- but it must be credited with being in tune with the psyche of the "ordinary" Canadian who lives in Kamloops or Sydney Mines.
The CBC still reflects the decency of this great land and showcases people and places that would never be seen on regular television.
I remember watching the CBC with my grandmother many evenings and getting to know Anne Murray and Don Messer and Juliette, and becoming better informed about my country through the tremendous package of news programming that has set Canada apart from other nations.
Recently, I've come back to the CBC, thanks to people like Sean Simpson and his dog Mollie who appeared on Dragon's Den to plead for funds which would allow Sean to bake the organic dog cookies -- the ones he sells at the Ottawa Farmer's Market -- for the masses.


Of course, I've heard of Dragon's Den -- one of my former coworkers went on six years ago to pedal his ma's recipe for tomato jam -- but I never watched it.
I didn't realize what a great show Dragon's Den was until I saw it repackaged as The Shark Tank on CBS. That makes me feel a slightly ashamed of myself.
I also started listening to CBC in the car in the past year, mostly because I, sometimes and rarely, appear on Definitely Not the Opera. Shallow, I know.
In the past few years, I've become tired of monopolized commercial radio with its canned playlists and corny ridiculous advertising. (People who own businesses, should be told NOT to do their own commercials. Stations only run them because they don't have to pay talent!)
CBC Radio (One or Two, I have no idea) does a fabulous job of showcasing homegrown Canadian singers and songwriters, people we would never know if it were not for the CBC. Again, I feel a little ashamed of myself because I've come to CBC Radio a bit late, but at least I'm willing to give it a chance in my dotage.
Anyways, this is a round about way of saying thanks to the CBC for letting us know that Rita MacNeil was a person who could sing, and for putting Sean Simpson on the air because, well, because Sean's a good guy and Mollie is an ace at retrieving beer from the fridge. Were it not for the CBC, Sean would still be peddling organic dog biscuits at the Ottawa Farmer's Market.
Sean deserves that Dragon money, even if they own half of his business.
As a final note let me say, rest well, Rita MacNeil, the treasure of the Maritimes.
And thanks CBC for letting me know her at all.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...