Skip to main content

Rear Window


You see this apartment building?
We live down the street from it.
The police are there sometimes twice a week. Ottawa fire, too.
Last year, we called the cops because the yahoo yelling on the right balcony was also lighting fire works right in the street on Canada Day.
And menacing, he's always menacing women and children who walk by.
See these guys by the car?
They were protecting the car while their boss went in.
You know they weren't up to good.
I watch them from my rear window each day, the place I sit to write my blog.
Sometimes I take pictures and send them to the police.
Let's call me Neighborhood Watch.
Last night, I saw pictures of this building on the local news.
It seems last spring and early summer, this building was a party palace housing sex slaves as young as 13 years old. Girls from my neighborhood, girls lured by Facebook into prostitution.
How did I not see that?
How did the cops not find them when they are at that building every single week?
Maybe they did, just forgot to tell us about it.
What a neighborhood.
What's ghastly about this whole enterprise is that it was, allegedly, conducted by teenage girls from the 'hood. Girls who should be playing basketball or getting their hair done.
I couldn't believe this was happening right under my nose.
The place is disgusting. It should be shut down. Or leveled like the Bernardo house.
The tenants should be evicted and it should be turned into a drycleaner.
To think, every day, a hundred kids walk by that building to make it to public school three blocks away.
My granddaughter might walk that street one day.
By the time Skylar goes to school, hopefully my son and his family will have moved.
But I make this promise on her pretty blonde head.
There will be no more activity like that in the tan building.
Not if I can help it.
Word, homies.
I'm watching you.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...