Skip to main content

Newspaper Reporter is the worst job in America



In its annual job survey, CareerCast.com reported that the worst job in America is being a newspaper reporter. I am reporting this as a public service for all those graduating journalism students from my alma mater, Carleton University.

Good luck in your new career.

Then again, how could that possibly be? What about crime scene clean-up crews, janitors, school teachers? Why is the newspaper reporter the worst job?

"Ever-shrinking newsrooms, dwindling budgets and competition from Internet businesses have created very difficult conditions for newspaper reporters, which has been ranked as this year's worst job," says CareerCast.com.

"Consumers can access online news outlets almost anywhere thanks to technological advancements, which are threatening the existence of traditional print newspapers. As a result, the number of reporter jobs is projected to fall 6% by 2020, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), while average pay is expected to continue its decline.
"And for those still employed as reporters, the job's demands are all-consuming."

Who is doing this research? Being a newspaper reporter is an awesome job. Awesome. The best.

I think the research was corrupted by the subjects themselves. Many who are attracted to this noble profession are first-class complainers. Whiners to the nth degree. I think, in fact, cynicism is a prerequisite for employment in newspapers.

It's true, newspaper reporters aren't on television. But they also don't have to stand outside in a hurricane. They just have to look out of their hotel rooms and interview people on their Smart phones.

Newspaper reporters get to do cool stuff, like go to fires and meet celebrities. They get backstage passes. They get to interview some of the world's most interesting individuals.

Like Chris Hadfield. Or Richard Simmons!

The days are never the same. Unless you are a Parliament Hill reporter, and for that you should be entitled to assisted suicide.

The trouble is that once a person enters a newsroom, he or she gets corrupted and brainwashed by the old crew, the ones who are clinging to their computers by their nicotine stained falanges, the ones who are still wearing the same double knit slacks from the 70s paired with shirts stained with Subway. And that's just the copy editors in their 40s.

There are drawbacks to the job, for sure. Like being told to "fuck off" on a regular basis by bozos like Rob Ford. But that's also a positive because as a newspaper reporter YOU HAVE THE LAST WORD. The reporter can feel free to fuck over a subject as long as it's triple sourced!

No, I think the survey was flawed. I think the reporters surveyed mistook "worst" for "hardest".

It's not an easy job standing on a picket line at 6 a.m. or having a door slammed in your face. But for every day of drudge there's a day when a reporter finds herself on the front lines of history.

And that, my friends, makes it the best job.

All I can say is if those reporters don't like their jobs, they should just get the hell out. Take a package and leave these incredible jobs for the new kids on the block. Give them a chance to get cynical.

And I have news for the complainers.

Try being an unemployed newspaper reporter, then tell me you have the worst job.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...