Skip to main content

Canada's Economic Action Plan: Go Stephen Harper!



All I can say is thank goodness for pay-tv and American television.

It's pretty hard to stomach Canadian channels these days as they are being polluted by the Harper Government and it's so-called Economic Action Plan, which might be creating business for SnapOn tools, but is otherwise doing squat for most of us.

Especially career women.

As Dorothy said to the wizard: "I don't think there's anything in that bag for me."

It just steams me that so many of our tax dollars are being spent on these damned ads.

You can't watch one single half hour of television without seeing some feel good bullshit that Harper is selling.

And it's getting even worse with the Justin Trudeau ads.

I have no opinion about Justin Trudeau. I suppose that Harper's death star ads are therefore aimed at me, to remind me that Trudeau the younger is inexperienced and, at various times in his life, has mispoken himself.

I have news for the focus testers.

These ads are just pissing me off.

To vilify somebody for being a gentle man who likes working with kids (camp counsellor, drama teacher) is just insulting, not just to JT but to teachers everywhere who are leaders in our community.

To vilify a person because he is young and inexperienced, just insults younger Canadians.

If that's all Harper has in his bag of tricks, well, I think he's in trouble.

It makes the Harperites sound like old fogies. Like the two old geezers in the TD Bank commercials.

Harper's ads are offensive, ignorant and mean-spirited. And let's face it: they don't make him seem very prime ministerial.

Harper should look in the mirror and adjust his hair.

The only experience he had before wrestling the leadership from Peter MacKay was as a political aide, perhaps a university instructor (can you say teacher?) and as a lobbyist.

He wasn't much older than Justin when he won the leadership. He didn't have any experience, either.

All his "experience" didn't stop him from ruining this country. Putting more people in jail while cutting the jobs of prison workers. Recruiting "snitches" while cutting back on tax agency staff members. Hiring legions of public mouthpieces while getting rid of Canada's scientists. Doing less than nothing to protect the environment for our children. And making Canada a laughing stock on the world stage.

How's that for experience?

Go Harper.

I once asked Pierre Trudeau what he thought of Joe Clark. Joe Clark, nice Joe. Trudeau stared at me with steely eyes and said this: "Joe Clark is a small, mean man." I couldn't believe it. I still don't.

But it's a very apt description of our fearless leader. He is small-minded, mean-spirited and ungenerous.

He gags his own Members of Parliament. He therefore mocks our democratic institution. That's not very prime ministerial, either, is it?

The bottom line for me has nothing to do with Justin Trudeau.

It has everything to do with Stephen Harper.

At 57, with a first class education and thirty years experience, I am earning less money than I did when I was 23 years old. My husband is working at a dead end job just to make ends meet.

We have to take in tenants just to meet our bills. Pretty soon we'll be taking in laundry.

And my 27-year-old son has been unable to find gainful employment to support his family -- despite sending out over a hundred resumes -- even to MacDonald's.

So I say to you, Mr. Economic Action Plan. How's that working for you? It's not working very well for me, or my family.

That's what I'll remember on election day.

In the meantime, enjoy this musical interlude. It's all about experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...