Skip to main content

Brian Williams is right: Give Hadfield the Order of Canada!

Last night, Canada got a big lecture from Brian Williams, the host of 30 Rockafeller Center.
 
Williams gave us an earful about how Canadians don't appreciate Chris Hadfield, Canada's favorite space cadet. Before Hadfield, nobody gave a crap about the Space Station. Now everybody wants to go.
 
The NBC host showed clips of the the Space Station commander talking to the kids about space tooth paste and how to make a sandwich in zero gravity. We saw the awesome pictures Hadfield has taken. We even heard a tune or two. I mean what can't the guy do?
 
At the end of the piece, Williams made an impassioned plea for Canadians to honor our spaceman with the tiny little pin and medal.
 
The Order of Canada.
 
What? You mean Chris Hadfield does not have the Order of Canada?
 
Why did we not know this?
 
It's not like it's hard to get one.
 
You just need to be nominated and not be a criminal.
 
You don't have to be a great person to get the Order of Canada.
 
You can be a hockey player. A musician. A politican. A broadcaster.
 
You might get it if you made a lot of money.
 
Or had a really cool recipe for a loaf of bread.
 
Seriously.
 
Conrad Black got the Order of Canada. Ditto Garth Drabinsky.
 
Of course, those dudes had to give back their medals because they couldn't get them past the metal detector at a federal penitentiary.
 
Some people get the Order because they do great things, but most of them are average people who actually get the Order of Canada just for doing a cool job.
 
Like Craig Oliver. Don Newman. Peter Mansbridge.
 
So what's the deal with Hadfield?
 
He is a Canadian, a great Goddamn Canadian. Why do we need Brian Williams to saunter by and remind us he's been overlooked?
 
Come on, Mr. G.G.
 
Hand one out.
 
Just do it.
 
I'm sure it won't be the first Order of Canada to be given to a Canadian who's out of town.
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...