Skip to main content

Welfare Krispie Treats




Hello. I'm not doing this because I'm lazy, but I'm reposting one of my old blogs from $10 Life because nearly 2,000 people read it yesterday. I'm puzzled. Anyway, enjoy!

I decided to make Rice Krispies squares and took a chance on the no-name cereal.
They were, as I expected, utterly delicious and exactly the same as the ones made from the cereal we grew up scarfing down by the bowl full.
Also, as expected, they were gone by the time I sat down with my tea to watch The Biggest Loser.
Can’t keep treats in my house, no way, no how.
Scott ate a handful, then Nick came up for the rest. He’s come a long way; he used to balk at no name cereal.
He called it welfare cereal, sometimes ghetto treats.
Now that Schnick (Nick and Shyla) are getting ready to welcome Wheels into the world, his priorities have changed. I don’t see him filling his cart with name brand items. I don’t even see him shopping at the regular shopping mall.
No sir, Nick and Shyla have embraced their inner tiger, their Giant Tiger.
They come home clutching bags of groceries they got for $50, most in cardboard boxes, a lot with weird names.
Nick tried to cook a pizza the other night, only the pizza wasn’t called pizza. It was called Cheese Crisp and it had no visible crust. Needless to say, it melted all over my beautiful Kitchen Aid oven.
Damn you, GT Boutique!
Oh well, at least he’s buying his own groceries.
That’s got to count for something.
You know the thing I noticed about the welfare cereal? It has the recipe for Rice Krispies squares on the side of the box. If you are regular makers of these crispy marshmallow delights, you will know that Kellogg’s puts its recipe on the inside of the box, which means that the cook has to take the cereal out of the package and rip open the box.
Like the recipe is some kind of big secret.
But the no name people are up front and civilized. They declare the box open for business but you don’t have to rip it open.
I hate stuff like this.
I also hate that there are no alternative recipes for big and small marshmallows. I always get the wrong kind and have to go searching for the equivalency on the Internet.
Not only that, but the manufacturers take great delight in putting out huge bags of marshmallows that match no recipe whatsoever.
Based on my research, 50 big marshmallows are the equivalent of five cups of small ones.
I’m sure you already know this, but I can never remember.
Now that I’ve posted this reference, I know where to look next time I’ve got the ninety pound bag of the wrong marshmallows.
Next time I make welfare krispie treats.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...