Skip to main content

Trudeau may not be middle class but at least he has some


 
I'm looking on Wikipedia to find evidence that Martha Hall Findlay has more understanding of what it's like to be middle-class than Justin Trudeau.
Let's see: she grew up at the base of a ski hill in Blue Mountain, became a Canadian ski champeen, and graduated high school at 15.
She went to "Toronto French School".
She went to the University of Toronto where she studied law while also owning two stores. Since then she's practised international and high tech law.
I don't see too much middle class about that.
It says, though, that she had to work her way through law school as a waitress. Justin Trudeau was a bouncer, so they have that in common.
Which brings me to my point.
Martha Hall Findlay should shut her gob about being more middle class than Justin Trudeau. She isn't middle class. She's a lawyer married to rich guy.
So don't call Justin Trudeau out for not being middle class. That's like calling him out because he's not a girl.
Truth is, the Liberal Party leadership has never, ever, been won by somebody from the middle class.
You don't see Joe Lunchbucket up there on the stage spending millions trying to reach the brass ring. Heck, Joe Lunch Bucket is still in the basement fixing his own toilet.
Nobody expects the leader of the Liberal Party of Canada to be a middle class schlub like the rest of us.
We don't want a loser as our Prime Minister.
We expect the Liberal leader to be a successful, attractive, well-spoken, bilingual, well-dressed, university educated person who can read a balance sheet. We want a Liberal leader who isn't dodging calls from collection agencies, bailiffs and ex-girlfriends/boyfriends. Perhaps the new leader would have been in a sportbar, but we don't want that leader to frequent sports bars.
We want the leader to pay at least as much tax as we earn.
Call Justin Trudeau a flake. Call him smarmy. But don't call him out for not being middle class.
And you, Martha Hall Findlay should be careful the glass house doesn't shatter when you slam the door behind you.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...