Skip to main content

The Obesity Debate: Bad Food or Rents?






When I was a little kid, I grew up on a fruit farm in St. Catharines where I ate my snacks off various trees or plucked them from the ground. Each summer, there were baskets of second grade peaches, cherries and strawberries that my grandfather couldn’t take to the station, the same fruits that I now have to pay six bucks for at the grocery store.

In the winter, we ate jarred fruit put up by my granny over the summer. If we wanted another kind of snack, grandpa would climb down the rickety wooden stairs and toss a basket of popcorn – kernels he grew himself – into the furnace and let it fluff up.

I rarely got a store bought snack, unless it was a holiday. My mum bought pop, but we were allowed only one can a week, not because she wanted to limit our sugar but because she was poor and couldn’t afford to buy us more than that.

It was only when I went to my Auntie Aylwyn’s – every Friday night – that I was able to take advantage of the snacks that modern technology had created: cheese in a tube, various slices of prepared meats, those mixtures of Chex and nuts that were all the rage. And I could have two or three bottles of soda. Man, I loved going to my Auntie’s.

When my grandrents kicked it, my mother moved to the city. That’s when my entire life became a snack. In the BC (before city) days, I don’t think I had juice twice. AC, I had orange juice every day. BC, I ate food from the land; AC, a lot of it was mystery food which came in aluminum trays carrying the moniker “Swanson”.

My mother worked shift work, so it was left to me to prepare my meals. I got really tired of the junk food she was buying and decided that I preferred the real deal: food that didn’t come in a package, slathered with edible oil products.

Post-AC days, I’ve continued to eat real food, the kind that comes from the exterior aisles of the grocery store, not the middle. My kids rarely ate the bad stuff until they could choose it themselves and, even though they are slaves at the altar of Red Bull, they do eat better as adults than most kids.

Once in a while, Scott and I will break down and have fast food and we really pay for it. If we have Chinese or pizza, we both wake up in the middle of the night with mouths as parched as the desert and chug down gallons of water. In the morning, my skin crawls.

So I was interested to see read an excerpt from a new book which was featured in the New York Times on the weekend: Salt, Sugar, Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/the-extraordinary-science-of-junk-food.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

The book explains the lengths to which the food scientists went to identify and target our bliss points with foods that take advantage of our brain chemistry and make us crave the salt, sugar and other additives.

If you haven’t read this article, and you’re concerned about your health and the obesity of your children, you should read it, or the book.

I strongly believe that a child who is taught to eat well from the beginning will have a better chance of avoiding the fast food pitfalls. It doesn’t mean kids should be completely denied the foods they crave; it’s just that we parents have a responsibility to cook for them, and show them how to cook for themselves. Seriously? I don’t think most kids know what real food looks or tastes like.

None of us are perfect. I’m over-weight and have high blood pressure but that’s because I’ve made other bad choices – like drinking too much and eating too many bad carbs. But yesterday, at a restaurant, we got talking to a total stranger, a man in his 50s, who didn’t believe that Scott and I were older than he was. He was convinced we were in our early 40s.

And that, I believe, is completely thanks to my early food imprint and my lifelong quest to eat the right unpackaged foods, without preservatives or high salt and sugar contents.

I thank my grandparents for that gift, so many years ago.

My mother, not so much.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...