Skip to main content

Snowmageddon: The Nation's Business under seige



As the killer storm dumped a pile of snow on the streets of Ottawa, it became clear that this wouldn't be an average day.

Senators and Members of Parliament would have to stay in Ottawa instead of getting back to their constituencies.

Public servants would have to drop their vital work to clean off their minivans and SUVs for the long trek home to their five bedroom houses in Kanata and Orleans.

Residents of the Glebe scrambled to find other arrangements because the City of Ottawa had raised its heavy hand and announced there would be a parking ban.

Yoga classes were cancelled. Ditto indoor soccer. The RA was forced to cancel bandminton tonight.

Oh my God, what will we do, they cried. There is nothing, but nothing on premium cable this evening.

In a panic, members of the Canadian Forces took to their Twitter accounts to decry the cancellation of their flights south to their time shares at Disneyworld and in The Islands. The less careful among them grabbed their heads and pondered: did we get travel insurance?

And the nation's business groaned to a halt.

Ah, but did it? In one corner of the National Capital Region, the entire membership of the Parliamentary Press Gallery gathered, their tiny calloused Blackberry fingers clutching to a dream. The big story was happening right under their cute, upturned noses. For hours they waited, like ice fisherman sitting on a box of beer, undaunted by the machinations of court security.

They would not be distracted from their task. The 24-hour news cycle depended on it.

Would he or wouldn't he? That was the question.

Finally he emerged, his handsome face covered by a very nice black cashmere coat. As he briefly turned toward them, all that could be heard was a thousand clicks.

And then he was gone.

They got their man, by Golly. The man made bail and they got it all on digital tape.

Self-satisfied, Gallery members packed up their tiny tape recorders and digital cameras and left the courthouse headed for a congratulatory beverage at Hy's. There, they would swap stories while pecking away on their brand new BBs. It would be great. One day they would tell their children about it.

But as they all piled out of the Gatineau courthouse, there was a collective moan that could be heard all through the Ottawa Valley.

As they looked around, there were no vehicles on the streets of Gatineau.

The crack media had forgotten one important detail.

The parking ban.

In Gatineau, on a deadly storm's winter's night, bylaw officers give the order.

We tow.

No exceptions.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...