Skip to main content

Patrick Brazeau: Man of Mystery



Do you think the media is being hard on Senator Patrick Brazeau?
Aside from focusing on allegations that he's a wife beater, a child-abandoner and a mysogenist, in addition to being a bad boxer. And calling Chief Theresa Spence fat. Ouch!
I'm not talking about his personal life, which is a shambles.
I'm talking about his work as a member of the Senate of Canada.
So I decided to take a journey into the heart of darkness, into the very chamber itself, the place that pays the good Senator a six-figure salary. We know he has been censured for not showing up much in the Senate, but surely that's because he's working on behalf of his constituency.
So I looked at his personal, Senatorial, website. (http://senatorpatrickbrazeau.com)
Hmm. Well, he got off to a good start in February, 2009, with his first maiden speech in the Senate.
Added a bit of eye candy to that smelly and musty old box of chocholates.
Check.
And he gave us a few bon mots --six -- congratulating winners of writing contests and other prizes. There was a statement about violence against aboriginal women right before the Christmas parties started in '09.
Check, check.
But that's, unfortunately, when he appeared to lose interest.
Not a single posting of activity for the years 2010, 2011, 2012.
He did write six blog posts in 2010.
I suppose that's something.
And to be fair, he does still sit on a couple of Senate committees -- human rights and aboriginal affairs -- so that's something. And there was that boxing match with Justin Trudeau -- he had to take some time to prepare for that.
But not much.
So...if he wasn't taking time to sit through the boredom in the Senate, being the worst of attendees with an absenteeism record of 25 percent of the 72 sittings, and he wasn't communicating with his constituents, where did all the time go?
He wasn't in Maniwaki spending time with his constituents.
People there say they haven't seen him in years even though he claims to live there.
Perhaps he was in Vegas on some sort of Hangover deal.
Maybe at the Lac Leamy Casino with Father Joe.
Or in Mexico, I hear Senators like Mexico.
It's a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...