Skip to main content

Pamela Pit Stop



 
(Pamela Wallin) knows why the prime minister appointed her. She’s a celebrity senator. No one else from here gets asked to speak all over the country like she does. Not the MPs, not the other senators and when she flies to Halifax to give a talk and flies home from there to Saskatchewan, that’s considered other expenses.—Bonnie Wallin, interviewed in the Toronto Star

Pamela Wallin has been one busy Senator these days.

Call her Pamela Pit Stop.

Last week, she appeared on all of the chat shows. She wrote an op-ed piece in the Globe and Mail defending her travel expenses as a hard-working Senator. She even made herself available for a puff piece in the Toronto Star, allowing an intrepid Star trekker to follow her around her hometown, to the florist to buy flowers for mum, to the grocery store.

She’s Saint Pamela of Wadena, the prodigal daughter who sells ice cream to the natives and slathers sun lotion on her skin at the family cottage.

Maybe they buy this in Wadena, but it doesn’t wash at the Tim Horton’s in other parts of the country.

With all the staying at friends (relatives say she’s too frugal to stay at hotels) in Toronto and the driving through the snowstorms to get to holiday parties in her native land, $13,000 a month seems like a lot for travel expenses unless the person is Sir Elton John or Lindsay Lohan.

Wallin tells The Star that her myriad speaking engagements to the troops as an honorary soldier cost money. The folks at Tim Horton’s ask: who appointed you General?

Wallin says she’s a favorite speaker and campaigner on the Prime Minister’s behalf.

The folks at Tim’s ask: why should we pay for her to attend partisan potlucks?

Even if we allowed her some slack on these two points…$13K a month.?

Really?

Some Canadians don’t make that in a year.

According to The Star story, Pam needs to get around. She a bona fide “celebrity senator” and must press the flesh continuously, an ambassador for the Senate and the government.

So, we assume that means everything that celebrity entails: an entourage, hair and makeup (those nails do not do themselves!), a rider detailing the need for Fiji water and kobe beef satays, personal trainers and so on.

But surely, these things are not considered to be reasonable expenses.

So where does the money go?

She says she pays for her pit stops in Toronto out of her own pocket.

She says she rooms with buddies and doesn’t stay in hotels.

And unless she’s bringing in buckets of caviar on the Senate, one can assume she’s not spending it on food.

Has the cost of a flight to the west gone up that much since I last could afford to board one in 2008?

On behalf of the crowd at Tim’s I decided to investigate.

Looking at the Air Canada website, Pam could get a weekend excursion to Saskatoon for $485 or fly executive class for $2,826. She apparently goes to Wadena every other weekend so the total, before taxes, is either $970 or $5,652 a month.

Huh. Even with hot towels,that still leaves $7,348 a month!

Something smells and it ain’t the fresh coffee and krullers the rest of us live on.

This is what is getting up the noses of ordinary Canadians, many of whom travel for work on the cheapest flights possible and stay at the Best Western or get shit for it from their employers.

These are not salad days in this nation. Most of us are lucky to afford a last minute flight to Cuba let alone caviar dreams and champagne nights.

 With a nearly 15 percent unemployment rate among young people, and other lunch buckets just struggling to stay afloat, we don’t think Canada needs “celebrity” senators, and all that entails.

Pamela Wallin, superstar, might wear many hats "on behalf of Canadians” but the two and three jobs she takes on aren’t at Micky D’s and Walmart.

For her part, Wallin is asking for privacy while accepting interviews from all comers.

And she’s good at it.

But Joe and Josie Canadian aren’t buying what she’s selling.

Even if the good people of Wadena are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...