Skip to main content

Oprah Winfrey: An ego in Spanx





A few years ago, I would have jumped at the chance to see Oprah Winfrey in person.

That’s because Oprah Winfrey had played a huge role in my life.

She helped me build a relationship with my mother. From health care to wealth care, she gave me information I could take to the bank.

She provided light in the afternoon for me as a stay-at-home mom, then a single mom. She gave me Dr. Phil when I was going through a messy divorce. And Dr. Oz who convinced me to get my blood pressure checked.

Oprah got us through.

But something changed, maybe five year or eight years ago. Oprah began to see herself as a prophet of some sort. “I believe I was born to greatness,” she told Barbara Walters. In other words, Oprah drank her own Kool Aid.

Suddenly, she was smarter than the rest of us, an expert on religion, morality and politics. She force fed us new age nonsense, built an opulent school in South Africa to separate the smart girls from their po’ neighbors. She bought the United States its first black president.

But it never seemed to be enough for Oprah.

She became too big for daytime.

So she bought herself a network to give her true believers are place to worship. Still not enough.

She needed to touch her subjects, lay on hands for 300 bucks a pop.

And now, she’s coming to Ottawa.

I really wish she hadn’t bothered.

Oprah used to the nice lady on the telly. Now she’s an ego in Spanx.

But she did us one favor.

She gave us Katie Couric.

And for that, we shut-ins will be eternally grateful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...