Skip to main content

Ode to the groundhog: The great northern hope



There's something psychologically disturbing about the Canadian character.
Perhaps it's the lack of vitamin D.
In the nice weather months, we slather ourselves with enough oil to make a bean salad.
We do burpies and watch our diets.
We get nice new bouncy hairstyles. We work out like fiends.
By the end of each summer, many of us are fit as fiddles, looking fine.
But something happens when the sun disappears to the other side of world. Something happens as we enter the heart of winter darkness.
We press the pause button on life.
The yoga pants -- once hilariously called "sweat" pants -- come out. The carefully prepared veggie concoctions rot in the back of fridge as we dive into mounds of mashed potatoes, vats of beer and bottomless bags of Doritos.
The insides of running shoes begin to stiffen and the gym rarely sees its door darkened.
Winter is for tablets and televisions, PS3s and laptops which become the only beacons from which we receive our light exposure.
Pits and calves remain unshaved, eyebrows mysteriously become unplucked as we give ourselves over to Cover Girl coverup to mask all the blotchy bits.
Pounds pile on, our omendums spill over our pantywaists, our cellulite bubbles just beneath the surface, all hidden from view by large sweaters and double digit "dress pants" and midi waistcoats.
Suddenly, the svelt becomes saggy, the BMI burgeons.
Depression overstays its welcome. Inertia sets in.
The shower becomes a storage area, the microwave the cooking method of choice, fat and sugar become food groups.
And that bottle of Single Malt just doesn't seem to last as long as it used to.
But we Northern soldiers do not live in fear. Something happens around this day of the calendar, regardless of  whether it's an Olympic year.
The Great Northern Spirit begins to bubble and squeak with the hope that one pillowy rodent could save us from ourselves and the middle aisles of the grocery store.
Today is Ground Hog Day.
A Northern day of hope for the future.
Today is the day we all been waiting for, breath held, sanitizer and snot rags in hand, lungs filling solid. Today is the day we wait for a sign from button nosed sages with names like Willy or Phil or Sam.
Today we ask, almost in a whisper: will we will be golfing or shovelling six weeks from now?
This morning, we were not disappointed.
The little rats shuffled from their cages to declare it.
Six. Weeks. Til. Spring.
There will be rejoicing in stale beer joints all over Canada.
Curlers will pause and doff their tartan caps.
Women will make appointments for waxing.
Men will put down their hockey sticks.
Children will look up from their consoles.
It's time to get started, to find the courage to peer into mirror once again, to manipulate the razor and face the pants with the button fly which have spent weeks moulding in the corner.
Winter's nearly over.
Time to get busy.
No more Canadian Idle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...