Skip to main content

Lena Dunham: I enjoy being a Girl



I like the HBO show Girls about a group of twenty-somethings exploring the complicated worlds of sex, money and work.
I like it better than Sex in the City.
I could never relate to Carrie, Miranda, Samantha and Charlotte.
I was never pretty or skinny or rich.
I was Lena Dunham.
Dunham has been hailed as the next Woody Allen and villified as a dirty little pudgy girl who spends too much time with her boobs hanging out.
I wouldn't go quite so far as leveling up Dunham against the Woodster.
But I do understand and appreciate what the fuss is all about.
Dunham speaks to all the insecurities that girls -- and women -- have when they are first starting out in the world. Her stories are in the present tense, but they certainly aren't new.
Every girl has a woulda, coulda, shoulda in her closet.
Some of us old broads have done the walk of shame more than once.
We're not the Red Hat Society, that's for sure.
Just call our behavior Past Imperfect.
So even though I am decades older than her -- and am at least as old as her mom -- I can relate.
I've done all that stupid shit and more.
On a personal note...
I've had bad sex with strange men more than a few times. I've had an STD and an abortion.
Not to mention a couple of urinary tract infections.
I took cocaine and immediately regretted it.
I let a guy take inappropriate pictures of me. Thank goodness it was before the Internet.
I've taken my top off in public.
I've stalked a lot of guys over the years over the telephone and driving by their houses. Many, many times.
I dated a homosexual. Maybe two. One for sure.
When I tried the straight and narrow, the marriage thing, as one of the Girls did the last few episodes, I failed miserably. I've been divorced. Twice.
Professionally, I've had a lot of dead-end jobs, been sexually harassed, did some nasty things to people to get ahead, gossiped and spread terrible rumors about people.
Called my bosses bitches more than once behind their backs.
Got fired three times.
Got depressed about work and dove under the covers at least once, maybe twice, every decade.
The only thing I haven't done that Lena's girls have done is use a butt plug.
I had to look that one up.
So all you haters can just screw yourselves.
I bet you've all done at least one bad or inappropriate thing in your life, especially if you're a girl.
Come on. Remember that weekend in Vegas?
Or that frat party where you found yourself waking up under a table?
No?
Well damn child, you haven't lived.
To be happy, you have to be sad first. To be successfully rich, you have to live broke.
And definitely, to find a prince you have to kiss a few frogs.
Don't you enjoy being a Girl?
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...