Skip to main content

Freelancing: The art of flying without a safety net




It appears my dreams of a future in journalism have been, once again, dashed.
For the past year and half, I have been on a wonderful, almost unbelievable, journey. I was called upon to create a new magazine in Canada, part of a chain of magazines worldwide. The topic is unimportant, suffice to say it involves commiting medical journalism, one of my favorite areas of interest.
I absolutely love creating new magazines. I've done it maybe ten times in my career and I'm good at it. Lifelong learning has been a passion for me and I'm always amazed at how small our personal worlds are and how much we do not know.
Part of the allure of being a journalist is being able to interview smart people: doctors, scientists, difference-makers. Interviewing them makes me want to be a better person.
Anyways, the magazine is now in its eighth edition and the company has now set up a website which means that I can now commit daily journalism. Haven't done that in 20 years. It's exhilarating.
Was exhilarating, that is, until I started having to fight to get paid. I am now owed about $6,000 and haven't been paid since December 20th on another paycheque I had to fight for.
The standard in the industry is that the writer gets paid on publication, which is bad enough. This kind of work is not for the faint-hearted. It often means going without a paycheque for months. But at the end of the process, a deflated bank account miraculously rises like a puff pastry.
But this time, this time, it appears things are different.
I put the magazine to bed on February 3 and today is February 22nd. I've also submitted about 20 stories for the web, which are supposed to be paid out every two weeks.
Unfortunately somebody in France is sitting on my invoices.
I was told two weeks ago, it would be just a few more days. Then the CEO, who has to sign all the invoices, took off on the very day all the invoices were to be paid out. Then my supervisor told me she stood over the accounting people and demanded they get him to sign the damned things. Yesterday, she said, she hoped he'd finally do it.
I still haven't seen anything. We'll see what the day brings today.
When you're a freelancer, you often feel like the stinky kid.
It's not always about the money, it's about respect. These publishers love to get your work, but pretend you're a mosquito once you've done it.
You become a nuisance to them.
You're made to feel like a loser.
Yesterday, I'd had enough. I told my publisher that I was putting down my tools.
No more web stories until I get paid. No magazine in six weeks if I don't see the color of their money.
By the end of the day, I was shaking, worried that they might fire me. Get somebody else.
I always hope that I'd be missed, but I know that everybody is replaceable.
There is always somebody waiting in the wings, another freelancer with their own deep pockets who would do the work for nothing because they love it so.
Or somebody who has a husband with a job.
Yesterday sucked.
I'm still hopeful that I'll be paid today. The glass is always half full in my heart.
Try telling that to your creditors.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...