Skip to main content

Dating advice: In praise of older men


Now that I have officially reached the 10th year mark in my relationship with Scott, I feel confident enough to give some advice to the lovelorn. It took me until my 46th year to figure out what makes a successful relationship. I tried marriage twice before and due to infidelity, both went bust before the husband could even get his seven year itch on.

I was talking to a younger girlfriend this week who gave me the 411 on the piece of shit who was her long-time boyfriend, whom she caught sexting a senior and boffing a barmaid. It took her a while before she finally kicked his ass to the curb. I also talked to another friend who is in the throes of a bitter divorce thanks to her slimy husband who lost interest in her after she gave birth.

Both these women are in their 30s and are pretty much done with men.

But I've told them to hold out. The ocean is full of decent middle aged men and the water's fine.

Besides, I said, experience is everything. You have to kiss a bunch of frogs before you find a prince. And you need to.

This is what I told them.

Don't give up. Because when you finally find a good one -- and you will unless you are a freakazoid -- it will make your life easier, safer and more satisfying. Love found in middle age is, in a word, awesome.

Why?

You're both fat, or at least pudgy so you don't have to worry about what you look like in a bathing suit.
His plumbing isn't perfect so you don't have to put out every single night.  Besides, middle aged men, unlike their senior counterparts, are too proud to ask for the Viagara.
Unless he's a complete idiot, your new man will not have small children. If he has small children, toss him back.
Hopefully his parents will be dead.
If he's too rich, you don't want him. There are a lot of schlubs out there who have been through divorces -- or who were too shy in their younger years. These guys are not considered great pickins for younger women. So chances are nobody will want to cheat with your guy.
If he's broke, you're safe from golddiggers and other female assholes.
If he had a wife who was a witch, he will love you, undyingly forever.
He's also handy. He knows how to do things like fix the plumbing, put in an airconditioner and negotiate a lawnmower. Chances are, he'll like doing these things.
He'll be into sports that you can do together like tennis and golf, cross country instead of helicopter skiing, snorkeling instead of scuba diving.
A middle aged man knows enough to keep taking his blood pressure medication.
Culturally, he will like the same television shows you do. If he doesn't he'll have his own television.
He's also acquired hobbies that coincide with Project Runway.
He is too old for video games. (Except for Scott but then I like video games, too.)
If he's a drinker, he will have learned to -- or been forced to -- manage it. You can spot the ones who have only a year or two left on their warranty; stay away from them from the get-go.
He knows how to dance.
He will love you for yourself, no matter how many nooks and crannies you have. After all, middle aged women have the same entrances as younger women and they know how to use them more effectively and efficiently.
He'll make a great grandfather, unlike you asshole ex-husband.
He's still handsome in a Hugh Laurie sort of way.
His bald spot seems age appropriate.
Finally, he will be grateful for some quiet loving.
Any time it strikes your fancy.
Television on or off.
Nightie off or over your head.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...