Skip to main content

What you missed in the Globe and Mail

For those of you who have already hit The Globe and Mail paywall -- and it's only six days into the month -- I am happy to provide you with an analysis of the print edition this weekend
First, Julian Fantino is an insensitive, uninformed twat.
The International Cooperation Minister apparently stunned the Haiti higher-ups during an interview with La Presse after he announced he was going to freeze new aid projects earmarked for the embattled little nation.
It was also news to his own department apparently.
The former top cop says he is tired of the "slow progress" being made in Haiti.
How long does it take to rebuild a country shattered by a major Earthquake? It's been two years!
"Are we going to take care of their problems forever?" asked Mr. Sensitivity.
On to the next item.
The hunger strike by Theresa Spence.
In its lead editorial, The Globe and Mail suggests that the Chief, who has been striking for weeks to get a face-to-face with Emperor Harper, should get over herself. The Prime Minister has announced he is now willing to sit down with native leaders.
What more does she expect?
Cheek wrestling?
I think she's smart. She knows that Harper has just agreed to the meeting to shut her pie hole.
Spence has been to enough of these gas bag meetings to know that the feds are stalling.
Maybe Julian Fantino can be put in charge.
"Aboriginal people can't expect us to take care of them forever!"
Onto a long blorging interview with Dr. Chris Mazza, the megalomaniacal doc who single-handledly allowed Ontario's air ambulance service to crash and burn while he collected a few mil for his efforts.
Don't blame me, he says. I now have to live in a condo.
We should all have such problems.
Next item. Olivia Chow has announced she is a victim of some sort of frozen face affliction. Her inability to smile has nothing to do with Tom Mulcair`s leadership, apparently.
If the news section wasn't bad enough, the lifestyle section made me nearly hurl my brekkies this morning.
First, Leah McLaren, the Canadian ex-pat writer who got into shit for using her column to try to sell her house, wrote yet another master class piece comparing herself to Kate Winslet.
Then the food writer tried to get us to make some dish with pork jowls. Blech.
Then there was a breathless interview with Allison Williams from the HBO series Girls.
The piece began badly, as these things often do, with interviewer and potential stalker Johanna Schneller describing Williams flaws which include a lack of coordination and trouble sleeping as "adorable" and suggesting her grin would put toothpaste ads to shame.
I often wonder how a reporter can get a whole section out of talking for ten minutes to a 25-year-old about her acting technique, Yale education and her view that a series created by Judd Apatow might actually change the world.
"Anthropologically, I feel this could be left behind as a piece of evidence of this current culture in these apartments in New York,"Williams said.
Really?
I just thought it was brain goo spilling out of the cranium of an over-indulged little rich girl who likes to show off her tits.
...And that`s what you may have missed this weekend in The Globe and Mail.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...