Skip to main content

Depressingly unemployed

There's something depressingly wrong in this city of ours, when the men in my household can't find decent employment.
Time was that a high school education was a ticket for training of some sort. Not anymore. Our Nick has applied for every job under the sun. He got his Smart Serve and his G licence.
Guess what? He can't even get a job that asks the question: "Do you want fries with that?"
So he languishes in the basement, scouring the job boards, looking after his daughter while the rest of us shake our heads.
Meanwhile in the upstairs, Scott was just been informed that he did not pass the interview for an OC Transpo bus job he applied for a year and a half ago. It's been six weeks since his interview and he was assured that he would still be in the running if he hadn't heard within two weeks.
Finally, today, he tracked down the "human" resource guy who told him, "Meh, our bad. Somebody should have called you."
Scott has a clean driving record and he's bilingual. He could teach a master class on how to be nice and respectful to people. He's six-foot-two and nobody would mess with him. Oh yes, and he has his CPR and emergency certification.
The interview was subjective.
He missed the threshold by one point.
One point.
So now he's wasted all this time, still unemployed except for a small job working in a wine making shop. He brings home three hundred dollars every two weeks.
Last week he talked about taking the car down to the river.
I'm feeling that I might join him myself.
I have now become the breadwinner in this house. Me. The freelancer who has had to fight every two months to get paid. I like my work, don't get me wrong but it's only part-time with no "fulltime" future.
I work in the magazine business, which is a dying industry.
I work for Euros!
It just doesn't seem right that two adults with sixty years experience between them as professionals should have to live on twenty grand a year.
Scott spent twenty-six years travelling the world as a CBC cameraman. He went to war zones. He witnessed on behalf of Canadians the massacre of Tienanmen Square. He produced the national news from Ottawa every weekend for five years.
Now he's bottling wine for public servants in Orleans.
Back to the bus job.
I've taken the bus. A lot of bus drivers are surly, unhelpful and try to kill their passengers while speeding along the Transitway. I once was menaced at the back of a bus by a bunch of thugs, who opened up the windows on a rainy night and left me drenched. The bus driver did nothing.
A lot of drivers are ignorant, too, especially to people like me who rarely take public transportation.
Scott would have smiled, talked to the lonely little old ladies at the front of the bus, tossed off kids who were menacing others, and saved a life in a medical emergency.
In both official languages.
I don't know many bus drivers like that.
So it's back to the drawing board.
There aren't many jobs for old cameramen.
Or high school grads.
Maybe Nick and Scott can deliver the Citizen -- that's if we can afford to keep our car on the road.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...