Skip to main content

Blackberry: A dud by any other name


They might as well have called it The Strawberry or The Peach.
Did the eggheads at Research in Motion really believe that if they changed the name of the company and installed a new charismatic CEO (Yes, I am making a joke), they would somehow erase the public's memory of the last five years of ineptitude?
What a bunch of maroons.
I was quietly chortling to myself last night, watching the news, as the cameras panned over the buildings once proudly named RIM. All that is left of that legacy is the shadowy letters above "Blackberry" remnants that the workers couldn't scrape off.
It's no wonder that RIM, er, Blackberry, stocks sank like a cellphone drunkenly and accidentally tossed in a swimming pool.
Blackberry had its RIM shot.
The boneheads who ran things, in a typically Canadian fashion, chose to believe their own press clippings. They had one good idea and a lot of government backing and figured: why innovate? Instead the former CEO became preoccupied with building a monstrous home on Lake Ontario and, for tax purposes, called it a think tank.
Meanwhile, Apple had its brainiacs working 23 hours a day on innovation and application because it understood that consumer satisfaction was Job One.
Now RIM, er Blackberry, is trying to make a comeback at the bottom on the ninth with the other team up nine runs.
Unfortunately, there is no crying in baseball, and there is no doddling in high technology.
Snooze you lose.
And boy did RIM lose.
I worked long enough in marketing to know that if you can't keep your promises, if you stall, obfuscate, lie, cheat, and then bring to market a dud product too late, then you're toast.
I still remember the Betamax versus VHS fiasco.
I was an early adapter back then and all my techie friends swore by Betamax.
So I bought one, against the advice of all my normally cautious consumer friends.
Sony had a better product by far -- no one disputes that. It had brand recognition but it was too expensive. In the end, it didn't have game.
As a result, like thousands of others, was stuck with a half dozen Betamax movies and thousands of hours of taped television.
Ever since that episode, I bought products that I knew would be sticking around for a while.
I never buy first generation, I always wait for the roll out.
And so I never did have a Blackberry.
I bought an iPhone 3 two  years after Apple launched it.
Last week, I bought an Android.
I could have waited for the Blackberry, but I didn't.
I don't believe in the product.
Blackberry had its chance and blew it.
It's a dud by any other name.










 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...