Skip to main content

Peter Morton gave me the giggles




There are people in this life who make everything around them sparkle.
Peter Morton was one of those people.
He just couldn't help himself.
Peter was unconventionally handsome, a wiry little ginger all covered in freckles. He was nerdy in a Ronald Weasley way but it was his charm and infectious laugh that made him special.
As a financial journalist, he had the ability to take the driest subject matter and lift the words right off the page. He was at the forefront of a movement that turned bean counters into rock stars.
He made money talk cool.
I met Peter at the place I met most people in 1994, at Dapoe's bar at the National Press Club.
Peter walked into the place and decided it needed fixing. So he became its treasurer.
We became fast friends, spending hours playing tennis and drinking beer on various patios. We didn't have much in common. He was happily married, I was unhappily divorced. He wrote about numbers and lived in cool Westboro. I wrote soft stuff and lived in a mausoleum in Orleans.
What we had in common was this. We both loved to be silly and giggle.
Knowing Peter made me feel like a teenager again instead of the sad woman at the bar, crying in my beer and missing my kids, who were with their father that summer.
Being Peter's friend made me happy.
He was a great distraction that summer.
And then he was gone.
He had won an important job in Washington as bureau chief of the Financial Post.
I didn't realize how ambitious Peter was. He needed to be at the centre of things, and Washington was so much cooler than Ottawa.
So he packed up the family and moved on. With a wink and a smile, he was gone, like some magical little leprechaun who was sent in to light the pilot light in my little life.
I never saw him again.
Until this morning, when I saw that smile in an obituary.
He was just 58 years old.
Turned out that big heart of his was, in reality, a bad ticker.
Who knew?
I'm writing this to say thank you, Peter, for turning my frown upside down when I needed it most.
Rest well, pal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...