Skip to main content

It's Remembrance Day: Time to shop!




I just got back from the Starbucks and it was a friggin'  car wash.
It's always busy before 9 a.m. and so we thought we'd wait and go a little later.
Didn't matter.
The line snaked out the door and if Scott didn't desperately need a Vente Bold Black, I'd have been outta there.
Sorry if I'm snarkey this morning, but there's nothing worse than going to the dog park and not being able to find a parking spot. Today, the line was down the road with dog owning SUVs and their precious little red coated foo foo doggies waddling down the road. Today, we saw a couple with two dogs who looked suspiciously like Bernese Mountain Dogs, without all the fluff. Turns out they were Swiss Mountain Dogs, according to the snooty owners.
Welcome to Black Monday which really is Remembrance Day in Canada.
It's the day when all the federal and municipal public servants get the day off while their kids are babysat in provincial schools which are forced to stay open.
It's the biggest shopping day of the year in my neck of the woods.
Instead of people visiting Cenotaphs, they are bulking up on Christmas goodies at Costco.
Why do we let this happen?
Today isn't Remembrance Day -- the ceremonies were all yesterday -- so why do the people who work on our tax dollars get the day off?
It's not a holiday. It's not a tag sale day. It's a national day of mourning, a time remember those who lost their lives defending our freedom.
I think it's horrible that veterans don't get their mail on Remembrance Day.
But then, they don't help getting buried anymore either.
It's not respectful to shop on Remembrance Day. The stores should be closed.
And it's not helpful to give people a paid day off when the rest of us have to work.
Let's have a compromise.
Let public servants get the day off if Remembrance Day actually falls on a work day.
On one condition.
Make them get their wrists stamped at a ceremony someplace and make them take their God damned kids.
Prove to us, public servants, that you spent the day reflecting on the work veterans do.
Otherwise keep out of the dog park and my local Starbucks, put down the shopping bags and get back to work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...