Skip to main content

Rhea and Danny: High five on your divorce


I saw my cousin and her husband yesterday, and she's never looked happier.
Pat and Don are attached at the hip. They go everywhere together, and do everything.
It's hard to believe this is the same long suffering woman who put up with my biological cousin for decades, only to throw in the towel in her 50s. That must have been a scary time for her looking towards old age without a partner, living in an empty nest, with a precarious retirement ahead of her. I was so thrilled when she partnered up with Don as she neared 60.
When my husband left me in my 30s, I had three small kids and I was absolutely terrified. I spent 10 years raising my kids on my own and I learned to be self-reliant. I grew during those 10 years, learned to unclog the sink and fix the toilet when it over-flowed. I became fairly well adept at putting together kids' toys and Ikea furniture.
But I have to admit that I was happy, grateful, relieved even, to meet Scott nearly a decade ago. Like Don and Pat, Scott and I do everything together. As I look back now, I realize that the divorce was actually a blessing.
Mr. Big was 10 years old than me, and now he would be 66 years old. He has a bad ticker, wobbly legs and an old man's ass. I am so glad I won't have to diaper him.
Scott and I are exactly the same age -- give a month or two -- and we get each other. Unless the gods play a nasty trick on us, we should be good to go for another three decades. At least.
I raise this issue on the heels of the divorce of Rhea Perlman and Danny DeVito who were together for 30 years. A lot of people were shocked that the two were parting ways. Not me.
Why should people be expected to stay together into their dotage if they grew apart?
Like most of us approaching or early into our senior years, they've recognized that they could be around for a couple more decades. Or they might not be around at all.
In either case, why not go out on a high note? Find someone you dig who digs you back.
My friend Jennette's dad is 86 years old and he found love five years ago after his wife died. He and Lois are inseparable. That's what's kept Jim alive through cancer and now heart disease.
A little grab, twist and squeeze.
A kiss like you mean it.
Or just a hug around the neck.
As human beings, we're living longer; so why shouldn't we be living better?
Instead of handing out the hankies, we should applaud couples who divorce in later years.
High five them on the street. Celebrate their courage.
So let's hear it for Rhea and Trollfoot.
For every tiny perfect heart, there's a matching soul -- even if it is a bit battered.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...