Skip to main content

Hurricane Sandy: God Bless Mitt Romney's America





I woke up in the middle of the night and padded over to the computer to check the progress of Hurricane Sandy. I was really expecting for the worst, and there was some pretty bad news. Fires. Flooding. Displacement.

But fortunately for the size of the Bosnywash Megalopolis, there weren't a lot of casualties. Not like Haiti, which apparently saw 68 storm casualties. Despite claiming its mandate was to be the voice of the world, there was nearly no talk on CNN about Haiti and all the people in that storm-torn place who are once again displaced or worse.

This makes me sad. It reminds me that the United States continues to be a myopic place. It's to be expected, of course. I'm sure if we had that kind of devastation here in Canada, our focus would be our own backyard. But I do think the Canadian media would take time to recognize the others who have been hurt during such a terrible storm.

My Facebook friend, the writer Jon Katz, blogged today that he and his wife gave up their television a while back and he wrote he was glad he had. He and Maria spent the night eating and reading before a fire, their animals all tucked in and safe from the storm instead spending it being glued to CNN watching all its dire predictions.

I wished I had done that. I found myself unable to sleep, distressed, agitated after watching the coverage for six straight hours. I couldn't look away. I felt slightly ashamed of myself.

Scott was joking before he left for work yesterday, speculating whether all the people of New York would end up at the city's highest point, the New York Public Library, burning books and watching ships filled with wolves cruise down the Avenue of the Americas.

It was bad, but it wasn't that bad. Reality rarely trumps the imagination of filmmakers.

Fortunately.

The weather is fucked these days.

I'm glad I live in the middle.

My prayers go out to all the families. I heard today that since the last big storm all the insurance companies added a hurricane clause, which states that their deductible is one percent of the value of their house if it is devastated by a hurricane. That means most folks will have to shell out at least $15,000 before they get any insurance money.

Insurance companies -- Americans helping Americans and taking a little for themselves along with way.

God Bless Mitt Romney's vision for America

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...