Skip to main content

BCE Loses Bid for Astral: Honey boo hoo





It was hard not to blow my coffee through my nose this morning when BCE CEO George Cope expressed his "shock" that the CRTC turned down his company's bid to acquire Astral Media.

He claims sucking another great Canadian company into the BCE vortex was "essential" to mount a domestic response to the "over-the-top" contenders who are picking off subscribers.

As Barack Obama said the other night: "Could you please repeat that?"

I just signed up for Netflix and I've literally stopped watching television on Rogers, another one of the conglomerates that are gouging Canadian pocketbooks with their huge fees for cable and premium networks. Right now, I'm paying as much to Rogers as I pay to Hydro for my electricity. For what? So I can watch Honey Boo Boo and Cake Boss?

On Netflix, I have been able to connect with some of the great shows made over the last few years. Last week, it was Damages, this week it's Freaks and Geeks. I can get this terrific programming for eight bucks a month AND I don't have to watch Rogers commercials on its so-called ON DEMAND station.

Hey BCE. Hey Rogers. Suck it.

I look forward to the day when I can get my television entertainment at a reasonable price and I don't have to pay extra for all the damned specialty channels. BCE, Rogers, Corus and Shaw have been picking our pockets for way too long. Apple wants in? Come right ahead. Microsoft. Welcome.

BCE, don't let the door hit your big ass as it waddles into the wilderness.

These huge companies are constantly crying foul. Big babies. They cobble up radio and television stations as well as newspapers left and right. Then they lay off so many staff, the average Canadian newsroom is starting to look like the RCMP outpost at Hay River. They don't invest. They downsize and rationalize. They buy up American shows for the price of a Big Mac and they serve them up to us as filet mignon.

They also lie. Take Corus which bought The Learning Network, getting a licence claiming they would provide educational fare for the masses. What did Corus do with the Learning Network? They turned it into the Oprah Winfrey Network. When the CRTC threatened to yank their licence, their response was that Iyanla Van Zant and Oprah's Life Class were actual learning opportunities.

Give me a fucking break.

As a Canadian taxpayer, I applaud the CRTC for not caving into the big swinging dicks. We need more competition in this country not less.

As for BCE I have one thing to say. Maybe it's time we changed the channel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...