Skip to main content

Dear Quebec: We love you, man




Dear Quebec:

Today is an important day in your history. According to the polls, you are poised to vote in the Parti Quebecois -- again.
Didn't you learn anything the last time?
The PQ are the modern day equivalent of the Catholic priesthood: self-serving, with beliefs based on irrational thinking. They will take your money and your children. They will keep you down on the farm.
Pequistes want to take away the basic rights of some of your citizens, make it difficult for them to get an education in the language of their choice. They will -- and already are -- driving many citizens out of La Belle Province.
Your housing prices will go down. Your insurance will go up.
Jobs will fly out of Montreal like the monkeys in the Wizard of Oz.
But you know all that. You know you're better off in Canada.
Admit it.
We know it's hard being different. But vive la difference!
We understand sometimes you get restless. You want to play tummy sticks with the Europeans.
I have one word. Greece!
Sometimes we stop paying attention to you. Make you feel we don't care.
So you vote PQ, just to piss us off.
Unfortunately, you might have cried wolf once too often.
Canadians are getting tired of all this talk of separation.
We're thinking, go, go. Have a nice life, already.
As Bonnie Raitt once wrote: We can't make you love us if you won't.
It's not that we don't like you. We do. We like everything about Quebec -- the people, the culture, the scenery, the food. Because of you, this country is better, richer. Lesser hoser-like.
English Canada loves Quebec; we just don't like Quebec politics.
Heck, we don't even like our own politics.
We all want to get along, have a beer once in a while, slap each other's backs when our hockey team wins.
Go cross-country skiing, with a side order of hot tub.
We don't want to fight, dude.
Just want some quiet lovin'.
So don't do it, man.
We know Charest's a douche.
Maybe if you vote for him, he'll go away.
But Marois, Marois is an evil woman.
She'll make you want to do things you don't want to do.
There'll be a lot of back door action, if you know what I's sayin'.
She'll try to convince you that we're the stinky kid.
She'll try to make you hate us, when we only want to get along.
She comes from the negative pole.
Marois is a hater.
Don't be a hater.
Be our friend.
For Liberal -- we know you want to.
Thanks, TROC (the rest of Canada)
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...