Skip to main content

Remembering Saint Jack


Would we feel differently about Jack Layton if he had not died so tragically a year ago today?

I've been thinking about this all week.

Yesterday, I saw him compared to John Lennon.

Come on, I thought. But then I paused. Yeah, you know there are similarities.

Both had their time on Earth cut short. Both inspired us with their words.

Love is better than anger
Hope is better than fear
Optimism is better than despair

Those words touched the hearts of every Canadian upon Jack's passing.

We remember them. We hold them close.

You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will be as one.

Words of poetry spoken at a time when people were searching for answers, inspirational words that were so simple they took our breath away. They made us want to believe again.

It took an illness to turn Jack Layton into Saint Jack, our newest unofficial poet laureate. Before that, he was just a bicycle-riding politician -- a wily often irritating broken record with a sunny smile and an unusually optimistic world view.

Like every politician, he had a platform and policies, but he was no visionary.

Just a man running a party that most people liked but nobody voted for.

That all changed when Jack fell ill.

The illness changed Jack Layton into a visionary and a poet. He was more like Terry Fox than Wilfred Laurier, a man of steel with great determination, a person who turned his own personal tragedy into fairy dust. Illness made people want to vote for Jack, just as illness made people want to help Terry find a cure for cancer.

Illness gave both men their legacies.

Illness gave Canada two heroes.

Both Terry Fox and Jack Layton did one thing for sure.

They made us want to be better people to our core.

That's more important by far than winning a stupid election and bringing in new policies.

That's how I will remember Jack Layton -- the man of the hour today.

How will you remember him?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...