Skip to main content

Olympics 2012: How to stuff a wild bikini


As I rode the elliptical machine today, I had to admit to myself that I was suffering from Olympics fatigue. It's quite obvious from the coverage that Canadians are snow bunnies -- we medal but only really in bronze and some silver -- so most of the coverage surrounds athletes from other nations.

I'm finding it hard to get up the energy to root for the Italians or the Chinese in sports that I don't care about. We have to suffer through hours and hours of coverage of non-Canadians in bikinis or tight tanks, girls with big bulgy muscles and mannish hands, dudes in cute and sparkly little outfits of blue and silver. Unlike the Winter Olympics, there is much gender confusion during the summer games -- a lot of the men and women are kind of interchangeable and you'd have a hard time figuring out their gender if they had their street clothes on.

I'm also wondering if I'm the only person alive who thinks a lot of the sports played in the summer games are just plain weird. Do we really need all these sports? Guess, I'm just an old-fashioned girl; I don't think BMX bike riding should be an Olympic sport when lacrosse gets short-shrift.

We could cut a whole week of Olympic events and a lot of us would be grateful. Do we really need 24 hour coverage of table tennis and how to stuff a wild bikini?

That said, I'm proud of our wonderful athletes whatever their crazy sports.

It takes a lot of guts to wear a budgie smuggler in public.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...