Skip to main content

Downsizing your dreams




Finnigan, or my bladder, woke me up at 4 a.m. and I couldn't get back to sleep.
My mind began to race, as I tried to find a solution to our short term cash flow issue. Nick is still looking for work, after being overlooked by Starbucks yet again, and our boarder will not have first and last rent until September 1st. That leaves us with approximately eighty bucks to live on, after the bills have been paid, until Scott gets paid next week.
We're not food bank material, not yet. Last week, we stocked the fridge and pantry, bought lots of red and black rice, a pork tenderloin the size of Texas and a slab of salmon. Not going anywhere, but we will eat well. We also have a fairly full tank of gas.
So it's just a matter of hunkering down and waiting it out.
I don't get paid until mid-September from my magazine job, and Scott's on commission. Car sales are down this summer, and Scott's decision to change jobs last month isn't helping, not one bit.
The good news is that we get benefits in September so I can finally take care of business: a crown on the back broken tooth and some bonding on one of my front teeth which has a tiny chip. Scott needs a couple of crowns, as well, and we both need cleaning and mouth bone maintenance.
I've got a few medical tests that I have to go for, and I'm thinking of putting them off for a month. I'm suspicious that if anything is wrong, and it's diagnosed before we get our insurance, I won't be covered for what is ominously called "pre-existing" conditions. Right now, I have high blood pressure and that's it. But what happens if the tests find something, and that happens before we get the benefits? Can't be too careful. We don't have much of a track record when it comes to good luck.
I remember the last time I got benefits. The first week of my job, I lost a filling and had to spend three hundred bucks at the dentist, all out of my own pocket. Sheesh!
Early this morning, I was ruminating about selling some of this fine furniture we accumulated when we did have money. We have a beautiful harvest table which I bought when the kids were small. It's played host to many a gathering of family and friends, and I hate to part with it. But with the kids gone and our circle of friends grown small, it just sits there, looking lonely. Maybe another family could make memories around it.
I also have three desks, one a leather and gold-leaf embossed accountant's desk, a library table that my grandfather built and a useful little computer table. I adore my accountant's desk, which I bought off a truck at the Rideau Tennis Club, when a man came in hoping to unload his late mother's fine things. But do I really need such an exquisite piece of furniture, one that marks easily, one that is really too small for use when editing reports and writers' copy?
I also have two wonderful bookshelves that I carted across the country from Regina, bookshelves that I spent four thousand dollars on 26 years ago, back before Nicholas wasn't even out of diapers. Like all my furniture, I love them, but do I need them in this cramped little pile that Scott and I call home?
Other items to consider: a china cabinet full of crystal that rarely gets used, a sideboard with place settings to serve 16, crystal lamps from New York City, a three thousand dollar sleigh bed that's too big for the bedroom.
All wonderful pieces lovingly purchased to feather our nest. But do we really need this kind of opulence in our situation?
I'm thinking, I'm thinking. Our situation is not dire, but it is disturbing.
I'm not going to panic. I'll just try to sleep on it, in sleighbed, a few more nights, if I can sleep at all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...