Skip to main content

e-Author, e-Author!



My faith in humanity has been restored.
I found my Kindle buried deep in the Lazy Boy recliner.
Instinctively, this morning, I knew it was there. Or at least in the house.
I could not believe that someone would have come into the side garden and purloined it off the table. Even in a sketchy neighborhood like this one, it would be hard to believe someone would do that. (Though someone did steal a couple beers from the cooler outside last year. But that was beer.)
I've missed my Kindle, in particular, because I've been waiting for a special e-book from my writing hero, Jon Katz, who has just published his first ever e-book. So the first thing I did was re-enter my credit card information and download The Story of Rose, A Man and His Dog, which is available for the unbelieveable price of $3.50.
It's what I love about Kindle; books delivered to my e-reader in seconds at a very reasonable price. I make no apologies. I am on a book budget these days.
The next book I will buy is The Winds of Change by Mary Metcalfe, my longtime friend and colleague who fearlessly entered the world of novel writing having never before attempted it. She also self-published her book, and will adding two new titles come the fall. I greatly admire Mary for forging ahead into the unknown, learning the craft of novel writing, then figuring out the ropes of self-publishing and promotion.
I've been a writer for three decades -- a published author of hundreds of newspaper and magazine stories -- but I've never had the courage or self-confidence to take my writing to the next level and I admire anyone who can do it. This blog is as close as I have come to putting my feet to the public fire. I don't have the money to self-publish and, while my ego is a healthy one, I don't think I would survive abject failure in that kind of endeavor.
I'm a coward through and through, hiding away in my little house, pecking away as a writer for hire. And that is how my life will likely play itself out.
As in my favorite play, Six Characters in Search of an Author, my characters will likely live in my head, and on this blog, not in a bookstore somewhere.
I'm not mad at myself for this.
I don't have the discipline for writing books. I don't have the flair or imagination for writing novels, either.
I just like sitting here, and just putting my thoughts into cyberspace.
Here's to the real writers out there, the writers of books, the crafter of prose.
May their characters live on forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein...

Ashley Simpson: Please sign this petition to help her family

Those who read this space regularly know that my family is frantic with worry about my cousin, Ashley Simpson , who has been missing 40 days now. Both her boyfriend and her landlord reported that she had left with no money, no car, no resources from her Salmon Arm, B.C. home after a domestic dispute over money. Since then, there has been no trace of her. The RCMP now considers this a homicide investigation, but the family has not heard any updates from them in more than three weeks. Just after she disappeared, her father, relatives and friends set out from St. Catharines on a long trek to B.C. to find her. They all left their work, and their lives, intent on finding Ashley who had always kept in touch. It was completely out of character for her to lose touch. Her parents have been consumed by worry. They have been unable to work, and are having a hard time functioning. As a result, they are now relying on donations from family and friends to keep the wolf from the door...

The strange case of Greg Etue

I got out of the daily news reporting game, I'll admit, because I didn't have the stomach to cover the many sad stories that came across my desk. I remember clearly once when I had to call an RCMP sergeant after his young son blew his head off with the officer's service revolver. "Please," he pleaded. "I really can't talk right now." "It was your gun, is that correct?" He slammed down the receiver. I was ashamed of myself. People have a right to some privacy in difficult times like that. I also used to hate having to go to the door of a dead child's home and jostle the competition for a picture. Really, it felt more like ghoulism than journalism. That said, I still believe that these stories must be told in an honest and forthright fashion with all the facts and none of the flourish and emotion that is all the rage in reporting these days. Over the past two years, we, in this community, have been treated to a lot o...